Saturday, September 27, 2008

Share Your Cool Decor Touches Part 9

For the poster who wants to un-brass her brassy light fixtures. You can use shoe polish (dark brown works best) to antique them by rubbing it on them & into the cracks especially. Then, just spray over with a clear finish. We did that to a mirror with a brass frame at my mom's house.


ETA: for my kids' artwork, I have 3 plain frames painted black. They are at kid-height on the wall, & have no back or glass in them. When the kids draw new pictures or paint something, we can change out what is in the frame without much trouble. It is so much cuter than sticking things on the fridge, or tacking them up on the wall. The frame makes it a "special" place for their artwork to be displayed.
Photobucket

Edited 3/19/08 by AndThenThereWereFour
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
Darn things were hard to get a pic of that showed the finish lol. But you get the idea...
I did the same thing to both the lights in my entry and hall, as well as the light/outlet covers in my kitchen.



-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9 mins of *crazy*
ooh love that! Those are plastic??
  • Reply to this Message
  • Wuv*my*Wubbie
Which bedspread? I got the one with the teal curtains at Target last year and the black one with diamonds I think also at Target maybe 4 years ago.

bbcsiggy1_1.jpg picture by tld91181
  • Reply to this Message
  • JoshuaJacob
How did you get that star on the wall? Awesome
Jennifer

  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Abby&Henry

To Zackster1-- Sorry I missed your post. Our bathroom is painted Jamesboro Gold from Ben Moore. We LOVE the color. There is a color at Lowes called LaFonda Sagebrush that looks very similar to the color we painted.

HTH!

-- Brandi

  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
9 Mins of *crazy* you talking to me? If so yeah the outlet covers were just the cheapo white plastic type.
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • click here

Taped and painted. It was a little harder than it looked. But by the baby's room, we had it down pat.

I meant to add too, we pay an extra $2 for house side pickup, so the trash cans never move, which is so nice. No dragging them to the street.

  • Reply to this Message
  • ksmom22
I think it's the second one - kind of striped looking? I'll have to check out Target's selection - thanks! happy

Photobucket

Photobucket

  • Reply to this Message
  • tinkleadem
click here- love all of your pictures! The stars are really neat. I really like your new front door. Also, I must say that last pic with the baby's butt in the air asleep makes me miss a baby so much. My "baby" is 4-- doesn't sleep like that anymore! I'd love another baby...I digress.

Amanda
DD 03-17-04

  • Reply to this Message
  • mommy2EmnC8
This thread is so inspiring. I found this thing in my basement and cleaned it up. Hung it up in my kitchen beside the cabinets. It was a medicine cabinet my grandmother used to have in her bathroom. I took the doors off it. I found the sign at Marshalls for $4. Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited 3/19/08 by mommy2EmnC8
  • Reply to this Message
  • maymommy-heather

To the pp who posted about using caulk as trim . . . details please (spelled out for someone with the creative/decorating ability of a 6 year old).

Thanks!

Heather

  • Reply to this Message
  • click here

Thank you for the compliments!

MayMommy - You just paint as usual, then when you're done and the paint is dry, take a line of caulk in the crease between the wall and the ceiling. It gives you a super straight line. I haven't tried it myself, but brother and SIL have done it in their home and I commented on how straight/perfect their paint lines were! They let me in on their secret. Even with those edger things, I make such a mess!

  • Reply to this Message
  • darcie912
Bump....Love this thread :)
Darcie Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Help Me Rana
Re: painting brass, THANKS! i plan on spraypainting my builder towel bars in the girls' bathroom, and maybe even the door knobs???


“If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.” - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
  • Reply to this Message
  • schwadette
let me know if the painted doornob thing works (if you try it). seems like it would make them stick... with all the nooks and crannies in them. it would save us so much $$ in the long run if it does.... :) work, that is.... :)
  • Reply to this Message
  • Bailey Jo's mom
OK, so I am getting so far behind on this thread! I was doing well, but I didn't get to spend any time on it today. I have a problem. We are adding on to our house and we will have a patio door in our bedroom leading out to a deck. What do I do to it? Here's the door.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=156225-44176-SBHBBGTRIS&lpage=none

A cornice and tie some sheers back? I really don't have a clue.

BTW, I love this thread and I am soooo envious of all of your ideas and houses. I have gotten a new soap dispenser, wine decanter for my mouthwash and a glass jar for my qtips. Now if my checkbook could keep up with all of my new ideas. I'm planning on redoing my window treatments in my kitchen and later on in my living room.

I also have a bow holder that I made for my little girl that I love. I don't have a pic of it on pb but I took a wooden letter (R) painted it white, decorated it with scrapbook stickers and rhinestones, hot glued a matching piece of ribbon to each of the legs in the R and hang her bows on that. Hope that makes sense. I don't know what to do with all of her little barretts and pony tail holders. She has a million of them!!! Any cute suggestions?
  • Reply to this Message
  • mommyof2kiddos
You ladies always have such great ideas.....thanks!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • **Smurfette**
Anna - you sent me pics? No, I didn't get them. cry I even went through my spam, geez, it's amazing how many emails I had for a longer, bigger...umm...

Anyway,
Would you mind trying one more time??

sassymama@gmail.com

Thank you so much! Can't wait to see them.

Laurie

Formerly Sassy-n-Bella

(Smurfette is an old OLD nickname. Don't ask. Stirrup pants are involved.)


  • Reply to this Message
  • earthenways
Bailey Jo's Mom,
I had that same door in my last house! DH installed it. We loved it!! You'll love the internal blinds. Everyone who saw it always commented on how great an idea that is.

As for what to do, I say do nothing. I don't think a door like that needs any dressing up. I sometimes like the clean lines of an untreated window or door.

Janine


Formerly known as fun2bemommy

I hadn't thought of doing anything to it until I got to this thread. LOL Now I'm trying to dress up everything!!! :)
  • Reply to this Message
  • **Smurfette**
I couldn't open the links for the 2 other pics you posted, but I agree it might look a little bare if you had nothing on either side of the window/picture frame (please post pics of that with your pictures in it, I'm dying to get a visual of this as I want to do it too!). Maybe if you rearranged the smaller pictures, spaced them out a little bit, and maybe didn't have quite as many of the smaller pics. Like maybe just 2-3 spaced randomly on either side of the window/picture frame. Hope that made sense. I'm all for random-arranging. Great excuse not to have to measure, IMO.silly

Laurie

Formerly Sassy-n-Bella

(Smurfette is an old OLD nickname. Don't ask. Stirrup pants are involved.)


  • Reply to this Message
  • newmommynvegas
Okay, ladies! I am one item away from finishing my pink polka dotted kitchen/dining room theme. I am in search of 2 light pink pillar candles for my candle sconces. Once I can find those, then I will post pics. It is the most froo-froo girly kitchen I have ever seen- totally perfect for me! DH has been so nice with letting me do what I want. Heck- he is outnumbered- there are 3 girls and him.

I must find those candles so that I can finish it and show it off! LOL

Jessica




You think YOU'RE having a crappy day?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
Message 159167.1024 was deleted
  • Ang71
I love the fish bowlhappy Do you know where she got it??

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)

  • Reply to this Message
  • jt3ofus

Kohl's has some great decorating deals in 70% off clearance plus take an additional 25% off.

I got an apothocary jar (filled with Christmas ornaments I put away for kids projects next year) for $3.

They had framed chalk boards, picture frames, candle holders, iron work pieces, etc. all way marked down as well as lots of table clothes and shower curtains if you are looking for fabric. They had a huge pottery plate that would look cool in a plate/photo stand on an armoire and some blue and clear glass plates that would work for candle holders with some sea glass around it. Lots of cool things...

  • Reply to this Message
  • LuvMyLilOnes
Hello! Mainly a lurker here, but I need some decortating help as well and this thread has some awesome ideas. We just moved in to our new house and have NO window treatments at all yet. On the top of my priority list is my kitchen window. When I'm making dinner around 5:00, the sun is coming directly in that window and I can't see a thing.

I love the table runner as a valance idea (simple... my kind of style!) But I need help with what color/pattern to use in my kitchen. I've been searching on ebay and I'd love some opinions!

Here's my kitchen:
It's kind of a dark picture sorry. The wall color is called Manatee Grey, but have a definite green tint to them. My countertops are pretty bold (they are a slate tile), so I'm thinking something more simple as far as pattern goes. PhotobucketHere are some I was considering. Any opinions are appreciated!PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketOr what about this sage green valance?PhotobucketAnd one more question... what should I put up as my main shade? Blinds? Roman Shade? Curtain? What color? Thanks so much for any opinions or suggestions!
_______________________________
Miranda, mom to:
Braden 6/13/04
Aubrey 4/24/06
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • MomDLI

I do love this thread love.
I am looking forward to the Decorating Divas on the new boards.

I have seen a couple people comment on keeping pictures straight.
My tip is to use two hangers rather than one.
I use 2 on ALL my pictures, spaced a few inches apart (farther apart on larger pictures, closer on smaller pictures).
The only ones I hang form a single hook are the really small ones.
I also use the small rubber pads on the bottom corners to help keep them from shifting and also keep them from marking up the walls.

Siggy 2

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!

  • Reply to this Message
  • allbright23

I have a question!!!! When making valances or a table runner could you use (i dont remeber the name of the product) that no sewing hem??? I think you put the strip in between the fabric and iron?? Has any one used this ???

On a second not I cant wait for the Decorating Divas on the new board....I am a loser and didnt get an invite but I am loving this thread and ideas!!! I always check this thread in the morning to see what is added!!!

Andrea

PS. I also love the monogramming thread!!

  • Reply to this Message
  • ohiomomtofour

I posted a separate thread on this but realized I'd probably have better luck asking for help right on this thread!

I need help with this bathroom. We just took down the Blue's Clues decor that the kids have deemed too babyish, and gone with this:

102_1585.jpg picture by ohiomomtofour

102_1580.jpg picture by ohiomomtofour

102_1578.jpg picture by ohiomomtofour

The skylight:

102_1581.jpg image by ohiomomtofour 102_1582.jpg image by ohiomomtofour
It's pale yellow, lots of natural light from the skylight. Surfboard shower curtain, waste basket and curtain hooks - very little counter space so I'd probably have to do something on the wall. Any ideas?

Oh, and here's my "practical" tip to add to this thread, not as cool decor as it is helpful. We hung an over the door shoe holder on the shower hooks in the kids' shower to hold all their toys, shampoos, etc. Totally hidden from the outside, keeps things organized inside. With as many kids of differeing age brackets using it, we've got everything from razors and nailbrushes to snorkles and goggles. Works well for us!

102_1588.jpg picture by ohiomomtofour

siggyjpg.jpg picture by ohiomomtofour

  • Reply to this Message
  • hahawillis

Where did you get that shoe organizer? I haven't seen mesh pockets before on those.

Thanks.

  • Reply to this Message
  • mommietimesgirls

Lovemylilones...

Can we get a close up on the colors in the counter tile? I feel like your color needs to come from there rather than choosing another green...?!?

K

  • Reply to this Message
  • ~*GoodThingIn3s*~

Everyone's DIYs look amazing!! I find myself reading so many posts and going 'Oh yeah... now I know how to do that!' This is the best thread!!

I have a decor question that I know someone will have the answer too. We currently have a chocolate brown dining set we bought last year. It's sort of an 'elegant' style (alas, very cheap...) The chairs are wooden with a sleigh back on them with little 'windows' we'll call them along the top 6" and then have a cream coloured damask fabrick on the rest of the back (framed by the wood) and seat. I hate this set. I'm thinking of painting the whole thing black (china cabinet and all) and recovering the seats in a black and cream/white toile, or floral B&W toile, or a B&W damask with cinnamon/red accent pillows for windows and benches, possibly lamp shades. I don't want this room to feel too bold though, I want it to have warmth and make people feel comfortable and relaxed, and B&W don't do that too well. So what colour walls should I have that'll compliment the B&W, not be too bold, but not clash? The walls are currently pink peppercorn (Light beige, NO pink despite the name) and our floors are cherrywood. I'll need one mistreatment for the one measly window (this room is not very bright) as well. I'd post pictures but our diningroom is in the basement because we were testing out the ' playroom' theory in the diningroom which isn't working. I've done the B&W in my kitchen and am just not feeling it (mostly because the walls are orange ((We didn't paint them)) and it just doesn't flow) so I'm hoping this works and isn't too 'trendy' that I'll be tired of it next week.

Thanks so much!!!

Jenn

DD 02/20/05

DD 09/15/06

EDD 08/03/08

  • Reply to this Message
  • LuvMyLilOnes
Sure thing... I'll take some right now.
_______________________________
Miranda, mom to:
Braden 6/13/04
Aubrey 4/24/06
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • LuvMyLilOnes
Close up of the countertops...


PhotobucketPhotobucket
_______________________________
Miranda, mom to:
Braden 6/13/04
Aubrey 4/24/06
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ohiomomtofour
I got that one at Walmart about a year ago I think!

siggyjpg.jpg picture by ohiomomtofour

  • Reply to this Message
  • ari&elimom
I have never seen counter tops like that? Are they rough? Easy to clean? I love the colors in them. I think you could go with any of those colors....reds, yellows or greens. I like the striped one you chose. But if you don't get much natural light in there I would probably go with yellow to brighten the space since your counters are so dark. I love the kitchen!!

stickfamily.jpg picture by ariandeli93

  • Reply to this Message
  • ~*GoodThingIn3s*~

Gorgeous counter tops! I've never seen anything like them. I'm interested to hear about cleaning/maintenance too!

Jenn

DD 02/20/05

DD 09/15/06

EDD 08/03/08

  • Reply to this Message
  • my*bellabambinos*
ohiomomto4 - have you checked out www.wallies.com ? The have cutouts that would go perfect with your bathroom surf theme. They are self-adhesive/prepasted and they are so simple to apply, look great and when you go to remove them, they just peel off (no damage to surface)! Just wanted to share.

Kris

Brandon 11/6/02

Jenna Grace 1/3/07

  • Reply to this Message
  • LuvMyLilOnes
There is a lot of natural light coming from the dining room during the day. That pic was taken at night so it looks extra dark. I'm leaning toward the striped one as well, to bring out the colors from the counter. Something yellow or really red would clash with the wall color.

Oh, the counters are not smooth, but not rough where you'd hurt yourselves on them lol, just a little bumpy. I found the tile and fell in love with it, but thought it would be way too busy for a floor, so I begged my husband into agreeing they'd make a great counter top! I really love how it came out. They clean easily, but I don't prepare anything directly on them... I always use a cutting board or a plate.

Thank you for your input!!
_______________________________
Miranda, mom to:
Braden 6/13/04
Aubrey 4/24/06
Photobucket

Goodthingscomeinthree:seats in a black and cream/white toile, or floral B&W toile, or a B&W damask with cinnamon/red accent pillows for windows and benches, possibly lamp shades

I think yellow - something in the gold or pale yellow (my choice) family would look fabulous with the yellow. I love yellow and black together.

K

  • Reply to this Message
  • Ellie~n~3K's
I love this thread! Haven't gotten through all the posts yet and not sure if something like this has been shown, but thought I would share. I love those huge bulletin boards they have in Ballard Designs and Pottery Barn (the $300-$400 ones). Of course can not afford them......so we made our own. We went to Menards (this might be a Midwestern chain, but is similar to Lowe's or Home Depot) and bought a cork board that looks like granite. Then purchased crown molding. We bought a fairly plain-Jane crown, but you could buy something fancier to dress it up even more. My dh cut and mitered the crown molding and I painted it black. Then we attached it to the granite cork (it matches my countertops!!) and wah-lah....instant classy looking bulletin board. It is like a magnet when people walk into our kitchen, they immediately go over there and start checking everything out on it. Oh......I think the whole project cost us less than $25! Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • KatieP1025
I can't remember who was looking for substantial grapevine garland but here it is for $2.99 at Pottery Barn—

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p9593/index.cfm?pkey=csalaccall
  • Reply to this Message
  • WIgirllovinTX
tenderheart.com

is having a huge sale on their spring sale. Lots of nature-ish ideas and thier deal of the day is a copper STAR! for $14.95

http://www.tenderheart.com/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=55626

free shipping on orders over $50.


Happy Shopping!
AuraLee

Zaine Tyrel 1/21/02
Miranda Echo 05/29/04
Arianna Tempany 05/19/05
*praying for a speedy placement of baby sisters!*
  • Reply to this Message
  • MightyPixie

Ditto on Tender Heart

They have a bunch of wall stars on sale.
I got this 18" Rustic one for $6.95

http://www.tenderheart.com/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=61086

Pixie

I'm confused... wait, maybe I'm not.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Three_kids_mom
For those who did the curtains that are the mistreated ones (or whatever they are called for the nester blog) did you use regular material or the heavy upholstrey kind? Also, how did you know how much to buy?
  • Reply to this Message
  • ~*GoodThingIn3s*~

Hmm... I hadn't thought of yellow/gold, but now that you say that I can picture it and it would be quite nice, even with the cinnamon/red accents I think! Thanks! Maybe something like Tobacco Road in The Nesters house...

I really love that cork board, I didn' t know they made the cork to look like anything besides cork, what a great idea!! It looks wonderful!

Jenn

DD 02/20/05

DD 09/15/06

EDD 08/03/08

  • Reply to this Message
  • Ellie~n~3K's

This is a totally random question.....

When do you all find the time, energy, patience, solitude.....whatever you want to call it, to paint??? lol. I really need to do some re-painting in our house and it is just one of those projects that is hanging there over my head and I just can't seem to find the time/energy to dive into it. My dh runs a business and works a lot of hours, I SAH with dd (who is 17 months) and I just can't seem to figure out when I am going to do it. I am one of those people that hates clutter and things have to be picked up and put away, so that doesn't help my "need to paint, but am putting it off" situation. Do you paint at night, on weekends and have dh help, during lo's naps, have friends or parents come help you??? This thread and The Nesting Place (thanks to whoever posted that link.....LOVE IT!) has inspired me to just get the painting done before summer. I know once summer is here we'll be outside and I will for sure not do it. Can anyone give me any tips or ideas or just some MOTIVATION for crying out loud??!!! lol

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • KatieP1025
Sorry, I have no motivation about painting. We have moved 3 times in 4 years and I am so done with painting. I did our bedroom, dd's bedroom and the living/dining room back before Christmas because we were having houseguests.

Our kitchen still has old lady wallpaper and beige walls as does the guest room and the hallway and the foyer and the basement family room and the bathrooms.

The thought of taking down wallpaper is dauntig. I, too, hate clutter and I know it will take us more than one weekend to accomplish the task and I will be living in a mess for 2 weeks.

Good luck to you...
  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot
You didn't ask me, but I wanted to let you know that I found one of those mesh things to hold my bathroom stuff at the dollar store, total bargain! When it gets gross, I throw it in the washing machine.

Rebecca

  • Reply to this Message
  • Matosmom

Just wanted to share a not so bargain piece but definately my favorite piece of living room decor! Sorry for the bad picture, I'll include the link to the website though so you can see it better.

Photobucket

http://www.ticktockcollection.com/index.htm

It was $60 but it was also a get together with friends. It takes 3-4 hours and so we did a dinner party and played games while we waited for each layer of paint to dry etc. I know this particular company is only in Utah but maybe there are similar ones elsewhere.

This is my other favorite piece:

Photobucket

It hangs above my tv, I just like that it's not the plain old vinyl wall words, I have enough of those already lol. It was only about $20 too!

Kristin
Allura-10/14/03

  • Reply to this Message
  • sparksmomma

earthenways - It is possible to have this done but it will be somewhat expensive. You will need to hire a professional glazer. The glazer will most likely tell you that they can not guarantee the original mirror will come down in usable condition; it could break or the coating on the backside of the mirror could come off where the glue is.

I had to hire a glazer to remove a mirror at work a few years ago. I *think* it was around $200. It was a very large panel mirror. It was not usable when it came down but it did not break.

I would actually recommend a glazer to anyone removing a large mirror. Piece of mind and cheaper than a trip to the ER. :)

  • Reply to this Message
  • Ask_Bethany

I saw a cute idea in a magazine the other day and forgot to save it and scan the picture in to show you guys!

They used wallpaper to cover just the front of the drawers on a dresser. The wall paper was patterned and coordinated with the wall color. The sides/frame of the dresser was painted. It looked really sharp!

Emmaline - allergic to dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, treenuts, dogs, horses, grasses
  • Reply to this Message
  • thewritegirl

Ellie - as far as motivation, just think of how dramatically different the room will look with a new coat of paint. If you hate clutter, all of the sudden the room just looks cleaner with new paint.

I usually paint after the kids are in bed. What time does dd go to bed? Change into your painting clothes right then, and then get to it. You can get quite a bit done in a couple of hours, but depending on the project, that room could be mayhem for several days. You could try doing it during nap time, too, or in the evening if your dh is willing to keep tabs on the kiddos for you. A few days of painting clutter is so worth it, though! Your room will look great.

Here's my other painting tip - after you are done painting the room, and getting ready to put the switch plates back on, take the extra time to turn off the electricity and change out the plugs and switches if you still have those old 80s beige ones. Switching to clean, fresh white ones makes a huge impact. They are super cheap, it's just a little more hassle to change the plug itself.

Mary

  • Reply to this Message
  • Cara in Boston

Thanks ladies - I have spent a good portion of my day reading all of these threads. My hand hurts! Great ideas.

Don't have much to add, but I had a photo in PB of the pictures going up our stairs. Family pictures, like everyone else, but in an unusual size.

Photobucket

You can get square prints from mpix.com (great quality too) in 12X12 and 10x10.

These frames are from Exposures. You could do something similar for much less $$$ by using scrapbook or record album frames.

And . . . Anyone else live in an old house (ours is 1890s) with radiator pipes in every room and things like that? Would love some ideas to hide them a bit.

Way, way back, someone mentioned a "softball" idea . . . what was the original idea? I couldn't find it but I'm intrigued.

Cara in Boston

  • Reply to this Message
  • **Smurfette**
Here are the pics of casualmomma's (Anna's) window picture frames. Love them! Photobucket*****************Photobucket*******************************Photobucket********************************Photobucket

Laurie

Formerly Sassy-n-Bella

(Smurfette is an old OLD nickname. Don't ask. Stirrup pants are involved.)


  • Reply to this Message
  • KatieP1025
Next time you are in Chicago or have a long lay-over at O'Hare can you stop by and take some pictures of my DD?

I have seen the pictures you took of your kids in your siggy and they (both the kids and the photographs) are absolutly beautiful.

You really have a gift for capturing the essense of your subject and not just taking a pretty picture. It's like you can take a picture of their soul. Amazing.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Zebsmom2004

Wow! What creative ladies and great hints. I usually just lurk but had to join in and say "Great Job" on all your projects.

If anyone has an Old Time Pottery store nearby, they have some cute stuff in their ad this week.

Glass jars, candleholders, fun stuff.

Here is the link. Hope it works.

http://www.oldtimepottery.com/template.php?page=saleevent

Stacy

  • Reply to this Message
  • click here
Just making sure everyone does know, if you're around a hobby lobby and sign up for emails, they email you coupons for like 40% off!

I have a big desk that is veneer that I want to paint black. Has anyone ever done this before. if so what kind of paint did you use and do you have pictures that you wouldn't mind posting.

thanks

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • BaloneyH
Rottie--do you know where you found the little canopy thing over your dd's bed? i love how simple it is--I have been looking for one and can't find one i like. Love what you have done!

Cara in Boston--those pix are gorgeous! what size are they? I love , love, love them!

Such great ideas ladies, I have enjoyed this thread so much!

Lisa
  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot

I got it at Ikea for 10 dollars I think. I got the flowers on sale from JoAnn's and took the buds and hot glued them to the top.

Thankshappy

Rebecca

  • Reply to this Message
  • webmom30

I saw those fishbowls, last year anyways, at Walmart.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • kellymom07

How many of you have a 2 story foyer?? What type of decor do you use if you have a huge space between the front door and large window?

I was hoping to get some ideas. I was thinking of doing the nester's star formation.. what do you have there?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • TwoTimesTheLove
During my spring break I intended to do taxes, clean closets, dust, cook for my family...blah, blah, blah.

Instead I have spent way too much time and money at H.Lobby, BL, Goodwill, Target, etc. I've enjoyed rearranging my own stuff and adding two $50 footed glass bowls (new w/ tags at GW) that I scored for $5 each, lots of fake lemons, a new bulletin board for my kitchen (covered the cork w/ scrapbookpaper and made my own push pins w/ metal letter tiles and hot glue), and started hinting to dh that we need to change those monstrous mirrors in our bathrooms and paint our brass light fixtures outside. Not what I intended, but productive none-the-less.

Question #1: Once you change the color of your outdoor light fixtures....do you have to change the front door knob, too. Should I spray it the same? Has anyone done this? I sprayed an indoor doorknob once and the paint kept coming off (due to use, I guess) and it was a little sticky.

Question #2: to all you scrapbookers w/ big 12X12 photo albums....where do you store them? I don't have a shelf that deep (and they don't coordinate w/ each other or their surroundings). I've stopped scrapbooking and make photobooks online instead, but I don't want to get rid of my work.
Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • JoshuaJacob
Are those old windows? Did you just tape on the back and hang them on your wall. Love to hear about it.
Jennifer

  • Reply to this Message
  • WigglesandGumballs
As far as painting, I always taped during the day while they played, and then did one wall at a time during naps or after they went to bed. I could easily cut the edges and then roll a wall in that period of time. And since I'd finish the whole wall at once, it didn't dry funny.
A
Wiggles, 10-01
Gumballs, 1-04


Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • tinkleadem

For the mistreated window treatments-- I found the heavier the fabric, the better. It's easier to hide the edges and it usually hangs nicer and easier than the lighter fabric (I used silk on two windows though-- they were much harder to get nice looking that the heavy fabric). I don't think it has to be as heavy as upholstery fabric to work well, but it shouldn't be too silky.

As far as how much to buy-- I guessed. Of course it depends if you just want a valance or the length of the window. I used about 3 1/2 yards for my floor to almost ceiling drapes. I would guess high rather than low-- you can always use the extra fabric for pillows or other decor.

HTH.

Amanda
DD 03-17-04

  • Reply to this Message
  • WigglesandGumballs
I think this is a new BBC record: over 1000 posts and not a single snarky word!!!!!laughlaughlaugh

Put down your glue guns and pat yourselves on the back!wink
A
Wiggles, 10-01
Gumballs, 1-04


Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Cara in Boston

Katie:

Thanks for your nice complements. The funny thing is, you are seeing 6 photos out of about 6 million. I take my camera everywhere, so I take a lot of photos. Very few make it into frames. I'd be happy to come to Chicago and take 6 million pictures of your daughter . . . (and I charge by the hour.)

Lisa (BaloneyH):

The frames are 15 x 15 and the print is 10x10. I converted the images into sepia and had them printed on metallic paper so they are sort of pearlescent. Mpix does a really good job.

Cara in Boston

Here's the frames:

http://www.exposuresonline.com/ExposuresOnline/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?CID=Frames&SCID=Entire+Frame+Collection&CollectionID=DC0000154&SiteNum=0&sortBy=Rank%20ASC

  • Reply to this Message
  • What~The~Frick???
TwoTimes the Love - I would LOVE to see your bulletin board? Do you have any pics? I have been considering doing one of them for my kitchen but
didn't even think about scrapbook paper!

Val

Ava 2*20*01 and Tanner 12*20*05

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • **Smurfette**
I was actually just posting the pics for casualmomma, those are her frames. I wanna do it too! I saw a bunch of beat up old window frames at an antique store the other day. I think she did tape them on. I think you could also add paper (plain or decorative) behind the picture for a mat effect.

Laurie

Formerly Sassy-n-Bella

(Smurfette is an old OLD nickname. Don't ask. Stirrup pants are involved.)


  • Reply to this Message
  • MyTwoCherries

LOL Wiggles, I was thinking the same thing! I'm so happy that there are so many great ideas and such great support here!

Has anyone been on the board at the new site? How are things going there? I'd love to hear about other great ideas if people are posting there as well.

I'm headed to Kirklands tomorrow for a few things and will post back with pics. I pulled out some old Target clearance Smith & Hawken ornaments (dried oranges/balls/etc.) for fillers in a glass bowl and they turned out really nice. I'm also working on an art wall with twine and painted clips for ds's playroom wall.

Thanks again everyone for the wonderful ideas and inspiration!

  • Reply to this Message
  • 2girls1boy=done
I love your bulletin board. I always lust after those in Pottery Barn.
Carolyn
Julia 7/02
Olivia 2/05

babies
  • Reply to this Message
  • Txnurse999
I finished my apothecary jars - YAY! I gave up the Beta idea (I had NO CLUE they didn't like the small bowls you always see them in sad) and went with a bird/nest combo instead (a la Nester). Photobucket Then I totally redid my mantle. Here is before with cluttered cheap silver frames Photobucket And here is after. TA DA! Photobucket (Yes, I know I need new candles for the end candle holders wink) I'm just not sure of the arrangement. Does this way look better? Help! Photobucket Those picture frames in the first picture were the ones I spray painted with the hammered finish spray paint. I put them over the TV. (Please forgive the blank frame, I have to print a pic for that one) Photobucket

The room looks 100% better. Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish up my window mistreatments in there!

Zoƫ, mommy to Brody 2/16/06 and Walker 8/28/07 Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ari&elimom

I can't find your name in the drop box.......I like the arrangement with the jars in the middle......but I would place them a little closer to one another.

My beta fish love their small containers (the 4 that I have had). In fact, right now I have one small tank with a center that is split, to house one fish per side, with the divider hiding the other fish so they don't get mad and want to fight. It does have a lid too, but it is airated (sp?).

Love the shelf with the frames!

stickfamily.jpg picture by ariandeli93

  • Reply to this Message
  • JustinsMommy1104
The iron in stuff is call Stitch Witchery. I don't see why you couldn't use it. My friend made panel curtains with it.
  • Reply to this Message
  • JustinsMommy1104
I love the bulletin board you made. Great idea!

Do you remember where you bought that computer desk? I'm looking for something like that.
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
SouthernCurl I used a "hammered" copper spray pain. Those were just cheapy white plastic light switch covers.
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo

OMG Bethany I did that to our dresser! I used a border because it was almost the perfect width for a drawer. It started out as a crappy old dark laminate dresser.

-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • SouthernCurl
Thanks so much Shan! I will def. give the light plates a try this weekend to see how they come out. I think the exact color that you used would go perfect in our kitchen.


  • Reply to this Message
  • TwoTimesTheLove
Val: The board was 1/2 off at HL (39.99). I just put some paper over the cork with repsoitionalable glue dots. Nothing too exciting, but it's a huge accomplishment for not-at-all-crafty me. I think the paper will end up looking kinda' shabby as it gets holes in it, so I bought extra paper and didn't use a ton of glue so I think it'll easily come off. I might even change the paper for the holidays (???).....no, that might be too much effort. Any suggestions? -Kelly


Photobucket
Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • kellymom07
Zoe - Great before and afters! I love what you did.
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Ellie~n~3K's

Thanks for the compliment on the bulletin board!

The desk.....I will warn you, it was SO not a bargain!! lol But, we wanted something nice that would last forever, so we were willing to spend the money. I ordered it right out of the catalog from Ballard Design. I have a few other pieces of their furniture and I love it. Great quality.

http://www.ballarddesigns.com/By-Room/Home-Office/Home-Office-Furniture/Home-Office-Ensemble-3Drawer-Desk-with-Hutch/p/1154?path=1%2C2%2C1752%2C1757%2C1799&iProductID=1154

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ARcrazymomof3

I love the dresser with the wallpaper it looks awesome I think I will do that with my nightstands in my room. my bed is a leather sleighbe and I wad having a hard time finding anything that would look good but now I think I have solved that problem. I like the wallpaper you have where did you get it.

Thanks

Autum

  • Reply to this Message
  • LuvMyLilOnes
ZOE - I LOVE what you did with your mantle. I like the first "after" shot you posted better (but I have a thing about symetry). Also, where did you get those LONG photo shelves?
I love them too!
_______________________________
Miranda, mom to:
Braden 6/13/04
Aubrey 4/24/06
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • KU*Mom
Zoe, your new mantel looks awesome! I really like the pic with the jars in the middle. Great job!
~Jenny

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • baseballmom3

I need help with my Foyer. I have a new rug. I still need something by the stairs. I have found a cranberry red hand painted pedestal table and wonder if I should buy it for the corner. Plus what to do by the door?

Before the new rug.

Photobucket

Photobucket table 021.jpg table 020.jpg
  • Reply to this Message
  • catherine1848
I would suggest an umbrella holder. Like a tall container for by the door. You could also find a small basket or pretty ceramic flat bowl to place on the new pedestal table for keys and whatnot.

Catherine
  • Reply to this Message
  • mum23loves

I really like the new rug - you managed to pull in the stair & adjoining room carpet color, yet pull in pretty gold and red - very pretty! And I love the transom over your door, so nice & it looks like you have a covered area over your front steps with beautiful columns? I would love to do something like that with our home (would be smaller scaled, I think) would you mind posting a pic of it? tia!

hmmm, I'm trying to think of ideas for you - I'm sure someone else will have some great ones for you!

mum to two little love bugs - soon to be mom of 3

  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
Thanks! I bought that border at Lowe's. :)
ETA: We also bought some inexpensive 1/4 round molding, and added that to the drawer fronts.
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo

Edited 3/21/08 by ***Shan***
  • Reply to this Message
  • Liza13eth

Zoe - I love the new mantle. I like the symmetric one better, but I have a weird thing with symmetry like the PP.

And Shan! The dresser with the border is lovely! I really think it looks so good; the paper you picked is perfect with the color of the dresser, and you're right - it looks to be the perfect size without a lot of cutting work!

  • Reply to this Message
  • MightyPixie

baseballmom - LOVE the new rug! I agree either an umbrella stand, or tall skinny round basket, something like that, for the corner.

To pp with the reorganized mantle silly - I like the first with the pictures on either side, also, but think the jars need to be grouped together still. Maybe just off center of the mirror.

I love the colored glass balls in one of your jars - what are they?

Pixie

I'm confused... wait, maybe I'm not.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Txnurse999

Thanks for all the compliments! I have the mantle set up like the first picture, only the jars are slightly closer together. I think I'm going to keep it like that, at least for now. silly

LuvMyLilOnes - I got the shelves at Target. They're pretty lightweight, but they look really nice.

MightyPixie - The colored glass balls are exactly that - colored glass balls! grin I got them a few years ago at Pier 1.

To the PP with the new rug - LOVE IT! I really like the round shape. I think a cranberry table would look great with it.

Zoƫ, mommy to Brody 2/16/06 and Walker 8/28/07 Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • kristin421
Question about the bulletin board... because I am a moron, how exactly do you do it? Does the cork board sit behind the molding and you nail right into it? Do you have to cut it to the molding? I am confused....I know nothing about this stuff.

Kristin


Allison and Ryann

4/17/05

  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot

Warning: dumb question/s to follow. Do they make scrapbook paper that looks like a map? Do you think I could buy some and frame it like a picture for my entertainment center? It's a thought, instead of buying real maps, like dh wants to do. What do you all think? Also...where can I get scrapbook paperblush, I don't scrapbook can you tell.

I'm wondering if Kirkland's is having an Easter sale? I feel a need to go theresilly.

Rebecca

  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot

I think the table by the stairs is a good idea , on the table I would put a basket for keys maybe and a nice picture frame with some nice matching candles and holders or a nice plate on a plate stand like you can find at Kirklands.

What about either one or two (for either side of the door) tall plant stands that you could put those green ivy plants on? That way they'll drape down toward the floor, I think that you have enough light for it. You could also put a standing coat rack there, maybe with an umbrella stand incorporated into the base? You could also put a tall ficus tree there.

I'll keep thinking...

Rebecca

  • Reply to this Message
  • bb4us

I have plastic blinds that are discolored from the sun. I found out they were defective, but had a baby instead of taking the time to return them and the company went out of business. Anyway...think I could spray paint them? Suggestions?

I am luvin this thread and can't wait to start mistreating my windows especially since they only have blinds.

Stacey

Kendel 3-12-00 and Preston 8-10-04

  • Reply to this Message
  • schwadette
dumb question alert - can you do a window mistreatment with an actually long (84 inch) panel? or does it work best with "plain" fabric??

No comments:

Blog Archive