Thursday, September 25, 2008

Shar your Cool Decor Touches Part 5

I got the 12 dollar ones too from BL, they were quite a bit smaller than I'd expected but I'm still pretty excited. They also have some at Target that have the decorations included, they looked quite a bit larger but they were 24 or 29 dollars and I'm too cheapsilly.

Rebecca, mommy to 3 little girls!


  • Nate&ZachsMom

Michelle/Shoewife...Excuse me? Did you write "Pampered Chef out let?"

Off to google.....

siggy-1.jpg picture by hfryar

  • tinkleadem

Wow shoewife, those look awesome! Great job!

Wiggles&Gumballs-- love your matting job. How did you get the pictures to stay in the right place, did you glue it on? Tape it?

I will have pictures soon. I've put up two mistreatments, but I'm not quite done with one yet (tassel hasn't been glued on yet). Mine don't look as good as some of those posted, but they're alright for me right now. More to come later..

Amanda
DD 03-17-04


  • JoeyandSam
My favorite clock using address numbers, sorry so big. Brenna
family room

  • WigglesandGumballs
LOVE the clock!

The pictures are attached on the back with blue painter's tape.
A
Wiggles, 10-01
Gumballs, 1-04


Photobucket

  • Cupcake^Ninja

Cool clock! Where did you get the hands for the clock, and how much $ did they cost?

If you please.happy

Fruit Loop

Homeschooln' mama to 3 boys.


  • sweet-as-pie
A great thread!!!

Does anyone know if you can just buy cornice boards already made that you could just add fabric to?


Lisa
Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

  • MightyPixie

I saw some clock hands like that at Target the other day. Not sure how much - I'm looking online. wink

And the filled apothecary jars at Target are $19.99 right now. happy

I forgot to say thanks to Justinsmommy for the paint color! So thanks! wink

Pixie

I'm confused... wait, maybe I'm not.


  • shoewife

Here's the link!!! :)

The items change frequently so make sure to bookmark it and check back often. You can get some awesome deals on there!!

Michelle

  • Three August Babes

Another idea for apothecary jars in your laundry room: clothespins! You can't see them too well in this picture (not mine), but you get the idea.

Susie


  • charbroiledbrat
I have unwrapped bars of Fels Naptha soap in the jars in my laundry room.

  • sweet-as-pie
how can I decorate this piece in my kitchen better? I'm not good at making stuff like this look nice.


Photobucket
Lisa
Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

  • PepperFan

Kate's crew - I haven't read the rest of the posts, but I think a live plant would look great in that corner. Either a tall one to sit on the floor or set one on the table. It'll add some color and warmth to the room. I guess you could do a fake plant, but I think live plants look better.

Sorry - that's all I've got :)


  • pdxsahm
This thread rocks! We did the up lighting on the cabinets like a pp described and they look great! It also took about three seconds and we already had all of the supplies. The mouthwash in the decanter is a big hit as well. Now it actually looks pretty! silly
Bree
Avery-1-04
Reese-1-07
PhotobucketPhotobucket

  • rsas9
Thank you for creating this thread. Brilliant ideas and very creative women you all are

  • JoeyandSam

I got the hands from Chiasso about 4 years ago and I think it was around $20 and the address numbers were .50 a piece. I saw some on ebay a while back and the starting bid was for $2.00.

Brenna (whose DH hates this thread and the money I will be spending on the ideashappy)

  • Reply to this Message
  • EmilyP53
My Big Lots had 2 different styles of the apothecary jars. One was $20 and one was $12. I bought the $12 ones. The $20 box looked a little bigger.


  • ari&elimom

I had to stop at BL today to see the apothecary jars. I only saw the $20 ones but they looked too big. I didn't see any smaller ones.
I plan to check out Tuesday Morning (I rarely go there....its kinda like Ross but way smaller) and maybe Ross. I want some cute containers for my bathroom cabinet!

stickfamily.jpg picture by ariandeli93



Lisa, do you have dishes to display? I think what you have would look great in front of something taller in the back, like plates or platters.

Also, i think if you group them in 3s or 5s instead of spreading out the objects it might be more pleasing to the eye.

Sara

OOPS-siggy-done.gif picture by aamberwaves




Edited 3/12/08 by aamberwaves5

thanks Sara. The only dishes I have are clear depression glass so I don't think they would work besides my everyday Corelle which we use. I will definitely use your advice to group better. I'll try at least.

ladies, I have 5 or so old clear glass milk bottles that came from my grandparents home. They are all about the same size and I don't know what I could do with them. They are really cool and old looking but I'm clueless. We don't have a huge amount of space or a mantle but if you could help me with any ideas it would be great!


Lisa
Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

  • webmom30
I love, love, love those placemats!! I'm GREEN with envy about how great they look! They would totally look great in my home. And your "fav chair"? I have the same one in my living room. I'm thinking of buying a second one.
You must be "traditional/contempory" design as well!
Photobucket

  • endowife
bump

Colleen

Grace 9/13/02

Katherine 4/20/04


  • The Prissy Monogram

Lurker coming out to say I love this thread!

Also, thanks to the pp who posted the Uppercase Living information. I signed in using your credentials!

~H


  • ~summerdays~
I've looked through this looooong thread twice trying to find the nesting blog and I can't find it.

Can somebody please post the link?

TIA



  • ramteacher

What would be cute in the apothocary jars in a bathroom? I have a large countertop and I want something decorative to put on it that is easy to wipe down and keep clean.

I was thinking cotton balls in one but I can't think of other bathroomy type things to put in a few others.

Kate


  • WigglesandGumballs
small soaps in similar tones

q-tips

those scented beads in a coordinating color
A
Wiggles, 10-01
Gumballs, 1-04


Photobucket

  • daniel12
Could you tell me the colors in this table runner? I have a room that is an apple green and I am trying to decide if I could use this runner as my curtain. I have 7 windows in that room so it would need to match.

Your curtain looks great!

thanks for your help

  • bluesnoflake

I LOVE this thread and can't wait for the new decorating divas board!!! I am still not even caught up on all the posts yet, but already got insprired to go out and start doing some stuff

I can't post pictures but here is one tip from me.

I took a hanging wine rack and put it over my sink under the light and then I draped vines/leaves and grapes hanging off of it. I have the grape theme in my kitchen. But I got the wine rack free from me mom and the stuff on it from dollar store. So for me it only cost about 3.00. I think it looks cute and I get compliments on it.

I also don't know if anyone has a Christmas tree store, but it is like big lots only way bigger and way more stuff. THere is a tons of decorating things from really cheap, to still ok prices. I think I might go out there today since I havne't been in a while.

Keep these awesome ideas coming, but man this is going from the bargain board to bleeding my account dry going and buying all these ideas, lol

Tonya


  • Ang71

Here's the Nesting Place bloggrin

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)


  • Ang71

I just got this email from Kirkland's and thought someone might like these canisters. They are not as inexpensive and some of the others posted but they have some detail/character to them.

Store Locations Company Information Kirkland's Home Card Send to a Friend Gift Cards

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)


  • SuzanneTX

Angie - thanks for sharing that Kirkland's ad! I love those canisters and they would be perfect in my bathroom since I have some coppery brown accent colors.

heartsiggy.jpg picture by sdfuller


  • ramteacher

I think I'll either go with cotton balls, qtips, and bath salts or do 3 with more decorative stuff like lavander

I found this website with different jars and fillers.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/apothecaryjars.html

Glass Mini Apothecary Jar with Lid 4-1/4"  $2.99 each this one is only $3
Faux Fruit in a Wooden Crate 144 pieces for $19.20 Oranges, Red Apples, Green Apples, Lemons, Pears, Strawberriesthis is 144 pieces of fruit and the crate for $20
6 Porcelain (3") Blue & White Rosette Balls $9.99/ 6 ballsand I would love a jar full of these!
Kate

  • Ang71

Suzanne,

Glad I was able to helphappy Post a picture when you get them all filled up. We want to see how pretty they look!!

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)


  • ~*GoodThingIn3s*~

I have cotton balls in one, q-tips in the other, and bath salts in the last one with a little glass scoop.

HTH!

Jenn


  • KatieP1025
Where did you get your hutch? It is exactly what I am looking for for my kitchen because I need something that isn't very deep, that has shelves and still has buffet space.

As for your decorating dillema—try some items of varying hight. Group things in groups of 3 or 5 instead of just spacing thing equal distance.

Try clicking around here:
http://web.hgtv.com/hgtv/web/searchResults/1,8213,,FF.html?searchString=displaying&searchType=Aggregate&GoSearch=Search

  • KatieP1025
Natural Sponges. You can get smaller ones in the make-up application aisle. I saw something like that on Design Guys (Steven Sabados is my gay man crush)

Like this but smaller

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=91714&catid=50429

  • kujo79

wuv*my*wubbie- Where did you get the metal for the magnetic door? We are re-doing our kitchen and wanted an area for the boys magnetic toys and bought that magnetic paint and was so upset when it didn't work!! Now I need something to cover it up w/ and never even thought of your idea!!!

LOVE THIS THREAD!!! dh might not but I do!!! I am now contemplating redoing our entire house- I mean we have been married 8 years and have the same decorations from when we got married- I need a change!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

  • Three August Babes

What would be cute in the apothocary jars in a bathroom? I have a large countertop and I want something decorative to put on it that is easy to wipe down and keep clean.

I have three apothocary jars in our master bath. I keep sponges in one, bath salts in another, and bars of soap in the third. Here's a pic from Pottery Barn (where I ordered my sponges from awhile ago).

Alternate View

Susie

Anyone have any luck finding the clock hands anywhere? I love love love that Idea, thanks Danielle

  • ramteacher

I like the natural sponge idea. Now I think I may do one with sponges, one with seashells (I have bags full sitting around from beach trips throughout the years) and maybe one with starfish if I can find those at a good price.

Hmmm, too many decisions :)


  • Matosmom

Got my apothecary jar from Target today! Also costco had a set of 3 different sized apothecary jars when I was there last night for $60

Kristin
Allura-10/14/03


  • maymommy-heather

sweet-as-pie-

QVC has no-sew cornices that look like they would be so easy. If you search no-sew cornice on qvc.com you should see them. I've been contemplating buying some for a long time.

Heather



The colors in the table runner are:

Cranberry(ish), artichoke, cream, yellow, and kindof a burnt orange. I don't think it would look right with apple green. Sorry!! :(

Michelle

  • Wuv*my*Wubbie
I got the steel panels at my local hardware store and dh cut them to size. I think they were 17 a sheet and we needed 2 of them. I have the magnet paint under the steel. It was such a waste of money!

bbcsiggy1_1.jpg picture by tld91181

  • In_Touch_With_Nature
Anyone have any creative ideas for storing shoes if you remove them before you come in the house? Right now we just keep them on an open white shelf. I would love something more creative and organized looking. If I could make it, that would be even better. Thanks!

  • slonb
Maybe you could do some fabric on the front of it (with a hot glue gun). Do 2 panels and trim them with ribbon or fringe.

  • May00DS+May04DD

I'm pretty sure Pottery Barn Kids has them...too lazy to go look for you!

Megan


  • ramteacher

I'm currently waiting on my DH to build a bench to put in our entry way that will have a seat that opens so we can store shoes in it. It will be something like this and I'll make a pretty cushion for it. On the wall behind it we're putting up beadboard and decorative hooks for coats.

Madison 48


  • In_Touch_With_Nature

Oh my goodness I love the bench idea!! Thats great for my grandparents and great grandma who come and have a hard time removing their shoes so they could sit on the bench instead of me taking them a chair outside everytime! Thank you for the great idea. Now, off to figure out how to make a bench.....

Oh and the coat hooks... hummmm that gives me another idea! Thanks so much!

If anyone already has an area like this, I would love some real pics of how it looks!


  • mommadukes416
You can check out JC Penney for ideas


KRYSTLE
madre to three
5,3 and 6mos.




  • Mom2Three415

bumping cause my fav thread is getting lost....LOL

Photobucket

  • mama2colin

I'm a big time lurker but LOVE this thread so I just had to post. Keep the ideas coming!!!!

Whoever is looking for the clock hands they used to sell them at Chiasso for like twenty bucks but I don't think they have them anymore. I found some on Amazon though but they are more money. Here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/NexTime-226ZW-clock-Aluminum-Design/dp/B000UFEVB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1205435776&sr=8-2

And now I need some help from you ladies. I found an awsome poster that I want to hang above my tv but I need a frame for it. It's an odd shape because it's so wide and when I called around to get one made the cheapest was $100! That's way too much. So can anyone tell me how to make my own. Please!

Here is the poster.

http://www.dvdhockey.com/warehouse/newyork06bl.htm

Norma mommy to Colin born 7/24/06

  • sugarandspicetwice

Here is a link to 25% off any one item at Kirklands. Expires 3/31/08.

HTH someone

http://www.kirklands.com/cm/dreBr56u/welcome.html


  • clsarah

Wiggles, just wanted to say thanks for posting the picture of your matte. That is exactly what I need to do to frame some artwork for DD's new playroom (and something I can actually do!)

Now we just need to get moved this weekend so I can start doing some of thsi stuff!

Sarah

Mom to Devyn 7/06

Christmascard2007.jpg picture by clsarah


  • SuzanneTX

Wow...thanks for that Kirkland's coupon! I hope my store has those canisters and that they are as nice as shown in the pic.

heartsiggy.jpg picture by sdfuller


  • LittleBoysBlue

For the poster, try http://www.americanframe.com . You can customize to any size and even order glass to go on it. I did a black standard metal frame for you to get an idea and it was $38. You have to assemble it yourself, but it's so easy. And there are so many types of frames to choose from.

Here's a white one that I ordered from them.

080301March2008036.jpg Seahorse Frame picture by LoveMyBlizzardBaby


  • sugarandspicetwice
Kirklands coupon... you might want to bookmark that link. When I saved it, it expired in Feb. I was cleaning out my fave's and opened it and was surprised to see it expires in March now. Hopefully they update it monthly.

  • MightyPixie


off the wall question...

are utensil jars a no no?? I have drawer space, but prefer to use it for other things...so is keeping them on the counter in a nice container ok?

  • Reply to this Message
  • mama2colin
LittleBoysBlue, thanks for the frame website. I'm going to go check that out now. That price sounds much better!
Norma mommy to Colin born 7/24/06
  • Reply to this Message
  • Treyton&Elli'sMama

bumping so we don't get buried

Bethany
*Mommy to Ellison & Treyton*

  • Reply to this Message
  • webmom30

You could probably find a frame at Ikea.

For the bathroom, I have some glass jars on my counter. Q-tips in one, cotton balls in another, and the last one holds kosher salt. I have a little plastic scoop from when I used to use formula. I pour some salt in my bathwater to soften the hard water. I also use it as a body scrub. Plain ol white kosher salt.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • lilysmom0818

webmom-love the idea for the formula scoop! thats so smart!

keep the ideas coming ladies, love em!

Rachelle

Lily 7*2*05

Chloe 2*4*08

  • Reply to this Message
  • KatieP1025
Sure, you can put a canister of utensils on the couter. I had one in my old kitchen because I didn't have any drawer space. Now, in my house, I don't have any counter space. I can't win.

Maybe you can find something cool to put your utensils in. Perhaps something vintage? Or a great pottery vase.
  • Reply to this Message
  • grinberga
Just posting because it said 666 posts and it was bugging me.devil

~~Amanda~~CCWAHM

Photobucket

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • curlyQ+2

Im just now reading stuff from march 10th so sorry if this is a repost. For the lettering in your family room. my cousin has "Families gather here" in her family room. Hers

is actually a sign, but it would work with what you are wanting to do.

ETA: this was supposed to be directed to Ask Bethany but she wasnt in the drop down box.


Edited 3/13/08 by curlyQ+2
  • Reply to this Message
  • Kate'sCrew

In Touch With Nature - you seemed to like the bench idea, but here's what we did - we put two hooks per kid, with their initial above it (one hook for coat, one for backpack), and then used these shoe holders from IKEA

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10031987

they come in black, and you can arrange them side by side, so one shoe compartment under each set of hooks.

Kate

  • Reply to this Message
  • 1Dawn
Thanks for the Kirklands coupon! happy
This post has been brought to you by the letter D and the number 2.
Dawn ~Mommy to two darling daughters
  • Reply to this Message
  • jt3ofus

Can someone post what page the original post regarding the steel panels is on? I missed it somehow. I have been waiting for a friend to give me an old metal sign from his auto shop to paint and frame out but the panel idea sounds like a good backup.

Thanks!

  • Reply to this Message
  • My2LilBugs

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with a large glass ice bucket??

My grandmother gave me one today and it's huge!

TIA

Breanna '97 & Calista '03

^i^ Peyton 1/2007 PMP

Lise

  • Reply to this Message
  • mommy2EmnC8

I've been loving this thread!

I recently painted our kitchen blue (Ralph Lauren Cloud Blue) and our master bath (a tiny bath!) a khaki shade (can't recall name of color - used leftover paint from living room we did a few years ago). Pictures below.

I'm getting all kinds of good ideas and have been spending way too much time in Big Lots. Someone asked about a decanter for mouthwash - I'm just using a vinegar bottle I got w/ a set from BL. I found an oil bottle at Walmart today w/ the metal spout for dish soap around $3.

I saw some of those blue and white dishes at Marshalls like those balls someone showed earlier. I am thinking about getting some to hang above my cabinets. They weren't too expensive.

We plan to replace the vanity in this bath and the nasty faucet circa '83. We're also going to get a light fixture and frame the mirror. Fun fun! Pics were taken before I was finished cleaning up obviously. But I put toilet paper in that old longaberger bread basket above my tank. LOL

There's a pic of an idea I got from ya'll where you can see the blue kitchen. I'm calling it my Easter tree. LOL

Elisa

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • FifiLaroo
Ok so I am only on pg 46 and I think it will take months for me to get through this awesome post. I posted pictures of my "dishtowel" curtains on pg 24. and now am getting paranoidblush -Are they really hideous? out of 60 some pages nobody said anything about them--THE HORROR!!!!!!wink If they are hideous you can tell me, I can take it.shocked I do need to post some pictures of my bedroom - it desperately needs help from you divas, hopefully this thread is still alive and kickin' by the time I get around to posting pictures.
Photobucket
Katie

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

  • Reply to this Message
  • FifiLaroo
BTW- lillytx I absolutly LOVED your toile cutains with the fringe, I actually squealled when i saw them. I would love to do something like them, but i worry that in my house it might not work and I could end up with "ghetto fab" curtainsblush -- Maybe I already have ghetto fab curtainswink
Katie

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

  • Reply to this Message
  • ari&elimom

Katie, I never saw this picture posted and I thought I read the whole thread. I guess sometimes I am on a page and don't get to finish all posts, so I miss some on that page and forget to look at it next time.

Also, you can change the number of posts per page, so everyone may not have the same amount of pages....but I think all posts go by the same number, so that would be easier to explain a certain post.

Anyway, I think the dishtowels is a very neat idea as a curtain.....how fitting! I think they look nice!

stickfamily.jpg picture by ariandeli93

  • Reply to this Message
  • FeatherButt

I liked the dish towel burtains, great idea!

My aunt made some curtains for her bathroom out of matching towels and I always loved those too, clever!. love

Meez 3D avatar avatars gamesFollowme2007and1-.gif image by diasmall
  • Reply to this Message
  • FifiLaroo
THANKS!!! - my self esteem is slowly growing LOL!

How do you change the # of posts per page? TIA
Katie

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

  • Reply to this Message
  • ari&elimom

Go to the 3 rectangle white boxes and choose My community, then My Preferences. There will be an option to choose how many posts per page.

HTH

stickfamily.jpg picture by ariandeli93

  • Reply to this Message
  • webmom30
Love the curtains. Somehow I missed them too. Totally cute idea for a kitchen!
Photobucket

I am so going to Kirkland's tomorrow for those canisters, coupon in hand. I am just worried they won't have them in mys tore. I live in the New Orleans area so anything with Fleur De Lis stuff is very popular here so I am hoping.

We are int eh process of redoing our house. We just got new countertops and will be doing our tile backsplash. I want to decorate a little more classier I guess than it is now. I have gotten some great ideas. We aren't getting the painting done for a few weeks so I am just looking now.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

  • Reply to this Message
  • In_Touch_With_Nature
Hey thanks for the idea. That is very creative as well. I never think of these things, LOL! Could you take a pic so I can see what it looks like all together. I do LOVE the bench idea becasue it takes care of two problems at once ( a place to sit to remove your shoes and a place to organize them and keep them stored away) but its not set in stone yet.
  • Reply to this Message
  • mommietimesgirls

Here is my Southern Living Glass Ice Bucket...

(on the LEFT)
I used beach stones and a pillar candle...
Just an idea for you!
Karen
(I finally got to contribute something!!!)
  • Reply to this Message
  • TheZookeeper

Sweet-as-pie

I collect milk bottles (which reminds me I loaned one to our local history museum and need to retrieve it). I have them in my kitchen. I have 6 little ones (think school lunch size) all across my windowsill above my sink with cute sayings on then and pictures (ie a bell and inside the bell it says Milk - A Healthy Ring) The bigger ones I have on a shelves around the kitchen.

Maybe you could take down the greens on top of your hutch and but the milk bottles up there?

Kerry

  • Reply to this Message
  • sissy_girl66
Here's my solution to the thermostat problem--ours is in the living room which is the main room in the house and I've always hated looking at my thermostat no matter where I lived.

I found the hat years ago in New Orleans and the lady who sold it to me picked out all of the colors to match my eyes and hair--so it has special meaning to me too :) Thanks for looking,
Eileen




PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot
Wall words/sayings...I was at Target browsing yesterday and they had some on an end cap. Obviously you would have to get the sayings that they had, but they were really cute! I believe they were 24.99.

Rebecca, mommy to:

McKenna 3

Emerson 1

Regan edd 6/08

  • Reply to this Message
  • tinkleadem

It's so funny to me all of you that are so concerned about covering up your thermostat. It has never, in all of my 26 years, occurred to me as something that needs to be covered up! silly

B/c of this thread, I spent $98 at Joann's yesterday. I promise to show pictures when I'm done, but it may take a while! BTW, my Joann's was having a huge sale-- you may want to check it out!

Amanda
DD 03-17-04

  • Reply to this Message
  • My2LilBugs

Thanks for the ice bucket idea. I'm going to have to post a picture of mine.

It's massive and has these lines on it similar to this one

Breanna '97 & Calista '03

^i^ Peyton 1/2007 PMP

Lise


Edited 3/14/08 by My2LilBugs
  • Reply to this Message
  • newmommynvegas
Katie- I love the curtains! Adorable- I love terry cloth, and they are so cute in the kitchen!

My great gma always had terry cloth tablecloths on her kitchen table, so I love them! I hear ya on not having anyone respond- I posted pics of my kitchen cabinets, and then thought they must be fugly since noone said anything! Now I realize that this is just a busy thread, and most people are not necessarily responding- they are absorbing happy

Jessica




You think YOU'RE having a crappy day?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

I agree about the curtains - I thought they were cute. Also the polkadots in the kicthen - it was fun and I liked it. Shoot no one said anything about my posts so I knwo it's just too fast moving.

People must just think I'm nuts for wanting to paint my dining room table. LOL

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • mommy2EmnC8

Holly,

I spray painted my kitchen table glossy black! LOL I don't think it's weird at all.

$8 and it's like my furniture was all new again. The kids are busy distressing it right now for me. wink

Elisa

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

Oh Elisa we HAVE to talk...LOL

Did you sand it first?

Did you add a coat of finish to the top?

How DID you DO it? LOL

Oh and do you have any pictures????? We're doing ours this weekend. LOL

Photobucket

Edited 3/14/08 by Mom2Three415
  • Reply to this Message
  • mum23loves

That RL Cloud Blue paint is awesome! I am generally not a blue paint fan but I love that shade!! I have a big mirror in my bathroom, too - (about 3x's the size of yours) that needs to be framed out too, it's on the list (along with some 'treatment' of the vanity). I also need to switch up the lighting in there - it's that horrid lighting (Hollywood maybe?) that's a strip with exposed bulbs on it. 6 across (it's actually not even one strip, it's 3 strips of two lights each, crammed next to each other). ICK! I am trying to figure out what to do & need DH to pull it out and see what's possible.

& to the PP with clock with the house #'s, very cool! And I love the paint color!!

mum to two little love bugs - soon to be mom of 3

  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
My kitchen table is painted too. I bought a nice solid wood round table off craigslist for $40. It had a really crappy paint job on it. They used black latex spray paint, but they didn't sand the origional finish at all, so I just peeled it all off lol! Then I primed it, painted it off white, and antiqued it with brown tinted glaze. Then I clear coated that, so I can scrub the heck out of it if I need to. It is painted to match my cabinets, which I painted the same way. (see cabinet thread lol!)
I still need to paint the captains chairs I bought for $25 (for all 4) I think I am going to paint them with my accent colors. (2 in sage green and 2 in an amberish color. Then antique them with a slightly darker shade) I have those colors in my window valance and accented around the house.


-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

It looks awesome Shan

Did you sand it before you primed it? We're doing our chairs too. LOL Not looking forward to sanding them since they have rounded details.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • mommy2EmnC8
I didn't sand my table either. It was an old pine farm house table and the poly had pretty much worn off. Spray paint does seem to stick pretty well. I'd love a new dining room set but I'd settle for a black hutch from Target or somewhere. LOL!

Elisa

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
I did do some sanding. I didn't try to take off every remnant of old paint or stain. I sanded it just enough to rough it up a little, and then gave it two coats of primer. The primer and the clear coat are what has made the paint hold up so well! I use magic erasers, green scrubby pads etc with no problems. My girls do all their art projects at this table, and all the marker, paint and crayon has come right off.
I did all the painting on my table and cabinets with brushes because I wanted the brush marks, It looks so neat after I antique it!
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

You guys are my heroes! I can't wait to get started.

This is my table now (without the bench)

Photobucket

This is what I want it to look like

. Photobucket

credit to Target.com for the pics...LOL.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

This is my plan - tell me if it sounds like it'll do the job......

Sand all of it (to rough it up)

Prime it all

Then spray paint (if they have the color) the top and seats the cherry wood color. (maybe even all of it)

Then brush paint (or tape and spray paint) the backs and legs black.

If I do the cherry all over underneath it might "show" through which wouldn't be so bad.

The finish with a strong clear coat.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
I would cheat on the cherrywood lol. I am lazy, so sanding it all down to restain it would be too much of a pita for me. wink I redid a (garage sale find) painted coffee table this way once...
painted a basecoat of a light brown/tan with a brush.
used an acrylic gel stain on top of that using a brush. (the brush helps create a faux wood grain look.)
clearcoated over all of that.

It looked like stained wood. I would to spray paint the black first . ( lay the whole thing upside down.) Just cover/tape off the underside of the edges of the table top. Then when you paint the actuall table top brown/tan, you don't have to do much taping. Just use a brush.
ETA: yes I would lightly sand and prime before any painting. :P
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo

Edited 3/14/08 by ***Shan***

No comments:

Blog Archive