Thursday, September 25, 2008

Share Your Cool Decor Touches Part 6

MAGAZINE ?:

Does anyone subscribe to home/decorating magazines? Just curious what you get! Thanks!! wink

Jen

mum to two little love bugs - soon to be mom of 3

  • Reply to this Message
  • kujo79
OK I am LOVING the table painting ideas!! I never thought of that- I have grown soooooooo tired of my dining room table had thought about painting it but now I have decided to paint it- I redid the chair cushions w/ some cheap fabric that was clearanced at Wally World from $10 a yard to $1.50 a yard!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

Shan - what kind of clear coat did you use (do you know the name?)

Elisha - Did you use the spray paint for wood?

I guess I need to make a trip to the Home Depot or Lowe's tonight...LOL.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Liza13eth

haha no offense fifilaroo, but the dish towel curtains are kind of "ghetto-fab." they are kind of cute, especially if youre doing a shabby-chic kind of thing, but they certainly do still look like dishtowels hanging on your window, theres no question about that love

im just saying, because the table runners actually look like "real" valances, you know? the dish towel curtains look like dish towels hung on your windows.

oh, but they are super creative!! i dont want anyone to think im a biotch - theyre just not my style...

  • Reply to this Message
  • rmpmj

I am a regular lurker and love love this thread! I dont know if this is allowed, but I wanted to add that I sell decorative vinyl lettering. I own a machine so the prices are not marked up. Email me if you want more info!

Mary!

  • Reply to this Message
  • newmommynvegas

Not sure that was necessary...




You think YOU'RE having a crappy day?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Liza13eth

i was just replying to this:

Ok so I am only on pg 46 and I think it will take months for me to get through this awesome post. I posted pictures of my "dishtowel" curtains on pg 24. and now am getting paranoidblush -Are they really hideous? out of 60 some pages nobody said anything about them--THE HORROR!!!!!!wink If they are hideous you can tell me, I can take it.shocked I do need to post some pictures of my bedroom - it desperately needs help from you divas, hopefully this thread is still alive and kickin' by the time I get around to posting pictures.

i PROMISE im not hella mean... she just asked our opinion and i gave mine?


  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
I have used several kinds. Dh threw out the empty pint I used for the table and cabinets...grrrr, I wanted to go get more. All I can remember is that it said "crystal clear" in big letters accross the front, but I can't remember the brand. blush
I have also used the .98 cent clear coat spray pant from walmart, and the furniture I put it on several years ago is still looking great!
I would think that any acrylic clear coat that says it is durable, and scrubbable and dries totally clear would work just fine. silly
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • maymommy-heather
I'm tackling the mistreatments tonight. I'm doing the valence thing in ds's room. If I was doing the full curtains, I know I'd need material almost 3 times as wide as the window, but for just the valence tacked up there at the ends and a few spots in between, how wide should the fabric be (with respect to the window width)? Thanks.
  • Reply to this Message
  • rmpmj

I did not mean my post to be rude in any way. I am so sorry if anyone took it that way.

Mary

  • Reply to this Message
  • Liza13eth

I thought she was talking to me, and I apologize as well if what i said come out wrong sad

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!

  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot
Just got back from Kirkland's againsilly. The wall plates that everyone liked, that were blue and white, they have them there for $17. It's a pack of 5 or 7 I think.

Rebecca, mommy to:

McKenna 3

Emerson 1

Regan edd 6/08

  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
Ok so talking about what I was going to do to my chairs inspired me enough to DO them. I bought some paint. lol.
Can't wait until I am done. I didn't want to take my valance down, so I snapped a pic with my cell, and used that to get colors that were pretty close, and some craft paints in darker shades. :P
(and some brown just in case I need to darken the colors for the color wash I will put over the spray paint.)


-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • *~The H2O Below~*
I have the same farmhouse table and chairs. You MUST show pics of them in cherry and black.
  • Reply to this Message
  • lillytx
Thanks, FiFi! That makes me fell great!
Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker LilypieBreastfeeding Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • Matosmom

Free year of home magazine!

You have to fill out their little survery but I completed it in under a minute and chose the magazine. There was also the option of a weekend pass to 24hr fitness.

http://www.rewardsgold.com/mags/home/sg_home_pg1.htm

Kristin
Allura-10/14/03

  • Reply to this Message
  • Bee*Sauce
So, I'm dying to have the black hutch with funky scrapbooking paper background. My parents gave us a hutch and dining room table set for Christmas, except it is honey oak....blech. Our floors and cabinets are light oak, and our walls are lemon yellow. Would it look weird having a black table with light colored floors/cabinets? Would I paint the table too? It seems like it would be too much black to do the table and chairs too.


Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



  • Reply to this Message
  • ohboyohboyohboy

thanks-matosmom

I see some more ideas I like! Oh, my house is a disaster w/grand aspirations on my mind.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Bee*Sauce
I think I answered my own question! This looks good to me, what do you think? It has the light floors and walls too.


http://www.vintageoak.com/Images/Dining%20Room/HV%204296%20Dining%20Set%20&%20China.jpg
Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



  • Reply to this Message
  • mb923

Does anyone know what page the picture of the clock is on? I would love to do that over my fireplace in my family room. Please help.

Jamie - that looks great! I would definitely do it. The pale yellow is really beautiful with it too (I always worry about yellow & black looking "bumblebeeish" but it absolutely doesn't!).
A
Wiggles, 10-01
Gumballs, 1-04


Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • JoeyandSam
Here is the clock pic again, I think you were talking about mine. Brenna family room
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5kidsanddone
I am mostly a lurker here, but I have been glued to this thread! I LOVE to decorate, so this thread has been so awesome to me! I have learned so many cool ideas already. Thanks so much for sharing ladies!

I thought I would share some of my decorating ideas. My first picture is of my living room. My fireplace was just boring ol' white when we moved in, so I decided to paint it chocolate brown. I love the way it turned out, and I always get compliments on it when people come over for the first time. (please excuse the coffee cup on the mantle!) blush

Living room 1Here is a closer picPhotobucket
This is my kitchen. I have struggled with finding the right stuff to put on top of the cabinets. The people who lived here before had such awesome stuff above the cabinets, and I have been trying to replicate it since we bought the house. This is what I have gotten so far.Kitchen 1
Here is a pic of the kitchen when it was still the old owners (this is the realtor pic) I did take down the wallpaper that you see in this pic. It looks ok in the picture, but in real life, not so much, LOL.Photobucket
April
SAHM to 4 boys, and baking baby # 5!


  • Reply to this Message
  • Kasey + 3
I just wanted to say that this thread is awesome!! So many wonderful ideas! I have really been motivated to do some decorating!!

I went to BL today, and got the $12 and $20 sets of apothecary jars. But, when I got them home I was really disappointed with them so I will be taking them back. I am stalking several jars and cloches on ebay now, so it will be a while before I can share pics. I want to do some on the foryer table with robin's eggs, etc. like Nester. I also want to do some in the bathroom with sponges, milled french soaps, and bath salts.

Also JCP is has some great wall decor on sale right now. I ordered a giant clock, a 4X3 foot antiqued metal wall grille, and set of 4 mirrors, and a set of 4 antiques white metal ceiling tiles. I will share pics as soon as I hang them

Has anyone seen pretty, natural looking, pastel, speckled, or robin's eggs? I couldn't find anything at Target, Micahels, or AC Moore.

Also, I was at the antique store ans they had tons of those tiny old glass bottles that come in a zillion shapes and sizes. They usually range from $2-8. I picked up 6 and I think they wil look so cute in a little grouping as bud vases. I have to clean them first though.

TYIA!!! I would LOVE to see more pics!!
Kasey - formerly Carter&Violet'sMami
Carter Grant - July 2003
Violet Jane - January 2007
IT'S A BOY! - debuting July 2008!
  • Reply to this Message
  • cherrycab

Brenna -

I also LOVE your wall clock. Can you give detailed directions on how you spaced the numbers on the wall and how you mounted the motor/hands? Also what size hands you used.

THANKS!

Also I think a few were asking about where to buy the clock hands. I noticed that ebay has a bunch of large clock hands ... like 12" sizes.

I too am LOVING this thread. We just moved into this house in the Fall and this has inspired me to decorating more and personalize the spaces.

Thank you ladies! happy

Maryann

  • Reply to this Message
  • cherrycab

I've got a ?... has anyone painted their ceramic canisters? I've got colbalt blue canisters for the kitchen (holds flour, sugar, etc) and I'm SO over colbalt blue.

Any idea if/how this can be done?

Thanks!

Maryann

  • Reply to this Message
  • Kasey + 3
A few more things!

I took an old antique bucket. I just cut p-u-s-s-y willow branches in varying lengths from about 3-5 feet long and put them in the bucket. I put it in a corner and I think it is so springy and beautiful! It, along with the bud vases are probably more cottage chic/ country chic, so not everyone's style, but I thought it was pretty. I saw they were selling the branches for $20 a bunch at the farmer's market and it inspired me to go cut my own! I will definitely post a pic later or tomorrow morning.

Also, can someone recommend a good product or paint to get a antiques white finish. I currently have various black wood picture frames on my shelves, but I am going for more of a shabby chic look now. Should I just spray paint them white? Maybe sand the white off in a few places for an ages look? I would love any advice!

I have seen a lot of apothecary jars on ebay with terrarium listed as a possible use. I think that might be pretty. Has anyone ever done that, or have any idea how?

For those of you doing apothecary jars and cloches in places other than the bathroom, what are you putting in, and where are you putting them?
Kasey - formerly Carter&Violet'sMami
Carter Grant - July 2003
Violet Jane - January 2007
IT'S A BOY! - debuting July 2008!

Edited 3/14/08 by Kasey + 3
  • Reply to this Message
  • WigglesandGumballs
I have 2 apothecary jars on my mantle, which has several things, all in greens. The jars are filled with a faux moss.

I bought a cloche for a round table between two chairs in my family room, which is butter yellow, a tomato red & deep greens. I am on a mission for a piece of red coral to sit inside the cloche.
A
Wiggles, 10-01
Gumballs, 1-04


Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
Kasey,
paint them white or more of a cream color. (I prefer the off white/creamy colors for this)
Then lightly sand the edges to scuff it up a little. Then use a little watered down paint to give them a "wash" It gives them a cute aged look. You could use a brown, OR use one of your accent colors over the white. Since it's not something you handle a ton, I wouldn't bother to clear coat it unless you want a shiny finish. Check out the nesting blog, and see her directions for painting the stars. You can do it that way too.
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • Ang71

You girls are killing me! I love looking at everyone's pictures and getting new ideas. I'm supposed to be on a spending freeze but it's so hard with all the neat decorating touches out there. I love to decorate with things I have around the house too. I'm always moving something from one room to the next. I have to say though I've been spending more time reading this thread then actually doing stuff around hereblush Could someone please tell me how to post pictures though?! I would like some advice but feel I need to show pics first!!!

TIA!

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)

  • Reply to this Message
  • JoeyandSam

For the clock, it is this clock (although when I got it at Chiasso a few years ago it was only $20, I hate how prices go upshocked) but after you figure out where you want the clock to go the spacing is pretty easy. Do the 12 and 6 first with the hands straight up or down. After you have those numbers up, do the 3 and 9 by putting the hands at 90 degree angles. Then we just eyeballed it for the rest by starting the clock at 12, rotating the hands one hour, placing it on the center nail and nailing up the number, finish all the rotations and you will have a perfect circle. I hope it is not too confusing, it sounds ok in my headhappy!

Brenna

http://www.amazon.com/NexTime-226ZW-clock-Aluminum-Design/dp/B000UFEVB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1205545452&sr=8-1

  • Reply to this Message
  • 3littleonesCA

Man, this thread has been like crack for me!

I just repainted my metal barn stars like the nesting blogger suggested. I had spray painted and sanded them, but I bought some of that craft paint she suggested and they turned out SO WELL.

I am addicted to cloches and apothecary jars. My family gives me a hard time, lol! I love the jars because you can fill them with anything, per the season. Right now, I have one filled with pastel eggs in my kitchen. The ones in the front room have sand and shells in them. The ones in the upstairs hall have mercury glass balls, shells, balsa wood pieces, etc...

There is a difference in quality, I have found. Pottery Barn makes my favorite apothecary jars. However, I bought two at Z Gallerie for a lower price, and they are nearly as nice. They also sell them in sets of 3 at Costco around the holidays.

I have found cloches at stores such as HomeGoods and Pottery Barn (the one from PB has a pretty, dark wood stand). Also, there is a kitchen store that sells them for very reasonable prices: Sur la Table. You can get them online. They come on skinny glass stands that look like wine glasses. So neat.

I wallpapered the inside of my kitchen china cabinet. Inside, I have several cloches, a nest, shells, china, silver, mercury glass, framed pictures, and glass bulbs whose colors support the brown and blue-green color combo that we have chosen for our downstairs areas. Just looking at it all nested in there makes me feel peacefulhappy

I also use mini cake stands to display things. My pride and joy comes from an artist who covered the stand with crushed glitter glass. It is in dd's room, and I stood little vintage figures on it.

I would feel so happy to post pics; I so enjoy decorating. But, because of some bad things that happened recently on another board, I'm really not comfortable doing that.

Thanks for the thread. This is the most fun I've had on this board!

A.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Kasey + 3
Thanks!!

ALso, I don't know if this has been said. But JCP has a set of three big metal stars on sale for $49! LINK
Kasey - formerly Carter&Violet'sMami
Carter Grant - July 2003
Violet Jane - January 2007
IT'S A BOY! - debuting July 2008!
  • Reply to this Message
  • jjbend

I LOVE this thread! I have been following it for days. I have gotten so behind at work! I love all the creative ideas!

But, you know what I really love, Ang71? - your picture of Eddie Vedder in your avatar. wink

Jennifer

  • Reply to this Message
  • LoveMyGirlie
I got a cloche a couple of days ago at Kirkland's for $10. It came with a black base that you can sit under it and also came with a orchird. I bought it for the cloche only and done just like the nesting blog with the white plate and candle hot glued to the bottom and I also have got a birds nest with eggs inside. Love it!! Kirkland had 2 sizes of the cloches too.
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415
The table project is getting under way - went out and bought all the supplies tonight. Thank you Shan - you're info really helped with the selecting. Never would of found the clear coat without you. (It was kind of shoved back on the shelf...lol). Wish me luck tomorrow. Elisa - you gave me the relief to know that SOMEONE else has done this too. I took my first deep breath after your post. happy
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
Ok so I have two of the chairs done now. What do you think? (I think they are fun. When I get sick of it, I will just paint them over again!) For some reason the green spray paint did this weird crackle thing. But it looks kinda neat, so I think I like it lol. The third pic just shows the wash on the second chair better. I just couldn't get a pic where it showed up well. Looks better IRL.







-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • nkmeldrim

I have been lurking on this thread and love it! I have not found the time to do anything however. So, I stopped at Hobby Lobby (1st time in 4 years or more!) and I was shocked at how much stuff they had. I could have stayed there all night. Guess how much time I had? 7 minutes! Certainly NOT enough time so I will have to go back another time.

I just bought some Upper Case Living things the other day and I can't wait for them to come. Then I need to work on my armoire/TV cabinet top b/c I am sick of looking at my wedding pics from 8 years ago.

Thanks for all the great ideas ladies!

Kristin & Nate with sons Andrew (4yrs) & Jonah (11mo)
  • Reply to this Message
  • Ang71
I LOVE me some Eddiesilly

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)

Cute chairs! That green is such a fun color.

I just remembered something else I did. I ordered an iron, 4-arm candle chandelier ($14) off of a website recommended in a magazine. I primed it, painted it a very pale pink, sanded it, and hung it in my laundry room. It's hanging from a silk ribbon with cream candles in it and crystals that I got cheap from World Market hanging on each arm.

If I'm gonna spend as much time as I do in the laundry room, I want something pretty to look at!wink

A.

  • Reply to this Message
  • keepin'itsimple

3littleonesCA- I wish you could post pics! I just reread your post and saw why. Such a bummer. Thanks for the inspiration though.

I have an empty box window (meant for plants)in my kitchen and I have been thinking and thinking on it. My plants always die because the afternoon sun beats through the window. Apothecary jars would be perfect! Your kitchen china cab sounds right up my ally too.

Sarah

  • Reply to this Message
  • couponlane

Thanks ladies,

I love all the ideas here. I am compiling all these ideas into one big cheat sheet. If you want to send me your ideas, pictures and who should I put as credited to (your full name, or just innitail, and where you are located...) That way when this thread got buried or going away, we can always have the cheat sheet to go back to. This cheat sheet contaning all teh ideas and I actually put them in each category: bedroom, bathroom, window treatments...

I am doing that as note taking now, but I want to contribute by sharing my notes to all :) I am clickable, please email me. Thanks.

  • Reply to this Message
  • eyer81
I got sucked into the nesting blog!!! I MADE CURTAINS IN 15 MINUTES!!! With NO TOOLS!! The only thing I did was a cursory measure of the fabric, then a little snip with scissors and RRRRRIPPED the fabric apart. I folded all the rough edges over and used the upholstery tacks to hide them. I am soooo happy with the outcome!

I have lived in this house for almost 3 years now, and we have had nooo curtains anywhere in the house with the exception of DS' room (simply because his nursery set came with 2 valances lol)

Well I went to walmart tonight and saw the PERFECT fabric, for $1.84 a yard no less... so I bought all they had left figuring that I could just use anything leftover for other projects/throw pillows/runner for my entertainment center etc. I went to the hardware dept. and picked up a couple packs of upholstery nails (.94 for 30) and we flew home!

Seriously, I did all three windows in less than 20 minutes, and altogether it cost me $14.xx for 6 yards of fabric and 3 packs of nails (I only ended up using 1 pack, but the other ones I will use in my bedroom!) And I still have about 3 yards of fabric left over for pillows or anything else I can think of that doesn't involve lots of sewing...I stink at sewing!

Then I went and "shopped" my house and grabbed an IKEA table we've had sitting in our dining room just wasting away forever along with a cute little birdhouse lamp MIL made a long time ago that's been sitting on a shelf. I stole the lampshade from my nighstand lamp (I'll have to go buy another one tomorrow), and voila! I have a decorated(ish) living room!

Now if I could only do something with my entertainment center...

Here's some pics!

Before

After

My 'new' lamp and coffee table!


A close-up of the fabric:


There were already brackets on each window for curtain rods from the previous owners, but I couldn't find a hammer to pop them out quickly before putting the 'mistreatments' up, so when DF gets home I will have him find it for me and I will re-do them.

I am giddy with excitement! I *HEART* THIS THREAD!!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Edited 3/14/08 by eyer81
  • Reply to this Message
  • ***Shan***
*If* you want to, feel free to use my table chair and cabinet( on the cabinet thread) pics/instructions. Just use my screen name. I am in WA state.



I paint everything!!!! silly
-Shann
Skylar 6/02
Sydney 3/06
lolbrit1.jpg image by shanzypoo
  • Reply to this Message
  • eyer81
And for anyone interested in doing the big wall clock (which I LOVE! BTW), I found a website that sells all the parts to make the clock itself individually for less than $20 with shipping!

Hands:
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-5__sku-66763.html

Clock mechanism:
http://www.klockit.com/products/sku-AAAAG.html

The mechanism itself is just 2 1/8 square, so it shouldn't be too hard to just cover it up with something.

You could also do something interesting instead of the house numbers like painting the numbers on the wall with coordinating paint and using stencils or something...or just freehand! I really wish I had a wall large enough to make this myself...someday!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Edited 3/14/08 by eyer81
  • Reply to this Message
  • cherrycab

Thanks Brenna for posting the clock directions and for the PP for the links... happy

Maryann

  • Reply to this Message
  • newmommynvegas
Sorry- I shouldn't have said anything. I am the queen of ghetto-fabulous-ness, no doubt about it. I just would have worded it different (unless I was talking to close family/friends.) Personally, I have a soft spot for things that are unique, and I don't think the pp was trying to "hide" the fact that they were dish towels- I think it was just a neat twist- using kitchen towels as more than kitchen towels, in the kitchen. I'll shut up about it now. angry Sorry for being snippy!


I have a question- I have a bunch of different shades of wood frames (most of them cheap ones) going up the stairs. I was planning on buying nice/matching/matted frames when I could, but should I paint them all the same color in the mean time? I know the placement is kind of off on them, so forgive me wink
Photobucket




You think YOU'RE having a crappy day?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • *~The H2O Below~*

I was going to do this with vintage kitchen towels.

but when i told the woman selling them what my plans were, she didn't want to sell them to me!confused

  • Reply to this Message
  • webmom30

I painted all my frames a matching color and they look great. I spray painted them and it was easy.

Hey Maggie-did you change your SN? (H20 below?)

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5Crazy

Ok, didn't someone post a pic of something they made for their hall, that they could hang their kids art work on?? I just went through the whole thread trying to find it and couldn't. Does anyone know what I'm taking about? Lol!

  • Reply to this Message
  • lynz80
To the person who used sheets as curtains, do you have any pics? We're moving into a new house with nothing and need some cheap ideas for curtains to get us by for now.. Thanks!! Or if anyone else has any ideas..

Lindsay~ Mommy to ~

Rilynn 12-13-05

Brady 2-12-08

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • mommietimesgirls

Ladies - desperately seeking B&M store for Upholstery Tacks...

I check my Walmart no go...Calico Corners no go also

Where Else???

K

  • Reply to this Message
  • 1happy*mommy
Yes, I know what causes it: Love the fireplace! What color, what kind of paint? Did you sand first? I'm defin. thinking of doing this.
  • Reply to this Message
  • tinkleadem

I got my upholstery tacs at the local hardware store (True Value). If that doesn't work, I saw them at Joann's the other day. Any craft store (not just fabric like Calico Corner's) should have them too. HTH!

About the dishtowel kitchen curtains: I am in the middle about these. I can tell they are dishtowels because of the texture, but I don't think it looks bad. Just different. I think it would work for a certain style, which the rest of your kitchen may or may not have (didn't see the rest of it!). If you like them, keep them up! Kudos for creativity and sewing them!

eyer81: Your mistreatements turned out great! I'm impressed you got it done in 15 minutes-- it took me MUCH longer. I really like your fabric. Have you tried moving your start and end points for the curtains out more? Like, outside of your wooden frame (on the sides and above)? That may look stupid, but it may look good. Just an idea. Also, if you want to fancy it up a bit, try adding some fringe on the bottom. The fringe makes a big difference. However, if you like the clean, ultra modern lines, the fringe will mess that up. Just some ideas for you!

***SHAN***: Your chairs look neat. I know you're not done yet, but I'd love a big picture of the finished product of the whole set. It's hard to visualize the green with the other color.

newmommyinvegas: I would definitely spray paint the picture frames. It would unify the look and look cleaner. It's a cheap, easy solution for now!

Amanda
DD 03-17-04


Edited 3/15/08 by tinkleadem
  • Reply to this Message
  • 5kidsanddone
1happy*mommy - The color is called brownie. It is one of the color choices at wal-mart. I didn't sand or anything. I just started painting, LOL. I tried to match the color to my entertainment center (to the right of the fireplace) and brownie was the closest I could get. happy

You should totally try it if you have been thinking about it! Paint is such an easy way to change a room. I love it!
April
SAHM to 4 boys, and baking baby # 5!


Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415
I like your how your picture frames are arranged. I'd just spray paint the frames the same color. I have the same thing going on - all my frames are sort of alike but don't actually match so I pulled them all done to paint too. LOL Great minds think alike you know! grin
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

Lynz....

I think you might mean me - I have them all on my blog right now ...

http://www.chapartyoffive.blogspot.com/

(Not trying to get "hits" or anything...LOL just running out and wanted to share the pics with her. LOL)

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Smelly Cat

To the poster that asked about hanging art work:

I saw this mentioned in the Parenting Magazine I just got in the mail. I think I am going to order one for each of my kids' rooms.

Art Clip

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Edited 3/15/08 by Smelly Cat
  • Reply to this Message
  • _Candee_
Ohhh how could I forget this??? I have this up in my bathroom (the whole bathroom is in a beach theme).


Photobucket


Photobucket
Photobucket

I LOVE the art clip featured in Parent's Magazine! I was thinking that it looks simple enough to make, but for only $9.95 I think it would cost more to make than to just buy it already made. Thanks for the link. I am getting one to hang in my playroom. It is perfect!
Kristi ~ Mommy to two sweet girls.


  • Reply to this Message
  • RottieTotTotTot
I have something similar to the clip art picture from Parents. I don't have pictures though, but I'll try and describe it. I used wooden clothes hangers and string, I hot glued little bugs on the top of the pins to make it a little more kid like and hang away. Did that make sense, lol?

Rebecca, mommy to:

McKenna 3

Emerson 1

Regan edd 6/08

  • Reply to this Message
  • mom2girlygirls
Rebecca~ How did you hang it to the wall? I'm assuming that on the magazine one that there is a way to hang it from the four flowers. Did you have something like the flowers on yours? Thanks!happy
Kristi ~ Mommy to two sweet girls.


  • Reply to this Message
  • ZUZU'S*PETALS
Jessica: I do! ( I actually put some of those same exact dots in my dd's pink/green nursery) They are cute:)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • ZUZU'S*PETALS

I am so loving this thread...it is really helping me with procrastination today (ie: laundry!) I am not creative but good at copying. I posted this once a zillion years ago, though, it is a wall letter I made for my dd. I saw this one for like $75 or something on a 'boutique' nursery site:

Photobucket

Being way too cheap to pay for THAT, I made my own for like $2.00: Photobucket

I just bought a $1 frame from Michael's, painted it white, bought toile scrapbook paper for like .25 or so, printed out the 'A' on my printer, and glued it to the back. I hot-glued the bow to the top. I really love it, and it looks so cute in her pink/green nursery:)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • MyTwoCherries

Holly-I like the clips you found! Where did you find them? I've only seen black simple clips in all of our local stores. Very cute window, it looks great!

Pp with the sand, etc. What a fun idea! I love that! All of the ideas on this thread are wonderful!

Okay, I'm so embarrassed-I've been on the board for three years and have never posted a picture. Would someone mind explaining how to do it. Our guests left yesterday and I had a chance to mistreat a couple windows this morning during laundry/cleaning, etc.

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas!

  • Reply to this Message
  • Juliandgrey

I have a decoarating dilemma that hopefully I can solve with the help of you talented ladies! (actually two of them haha)

1. My kitchen table. It is oblong (oval) cherry with rod iron bottom and the backs and arms of chairs are rod iron. Anyways, I don't know how to "set" the table. What's the thing to do these days? Do you do a table runner for oblong tables (it seats 6)...or do you just do placemats? Can anyone post pics of how they have their tables set up? I'd love it!!!

2. We have a sleep number bed (king size) and have yet to purchase a headboard or frame or whatever you do. I'm in love with the platform beds but unfortunately can't do that with this type of matress set up. Any one want to post pics of their beds? I just want to see different types of beds that are available...along with how you did your bedding and stuff.

These are the two areas I want to focus on right now..so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'll post pics if need be but can't right now...hubby is hunting this weekend and has the camera silly to take pics of all those turkeys he plans to kill...yeah right haha.

thanks in advance! i'm excited to see pics!!!

Juli

Gavin 12/29/05

Greyson 6/16/97

  • Reply to this Message
  • Mom2Three415

My2Cheries - I found them at Lowe's. :-)

I made a children's art holder using a yard sticks and clothes pins.

I painted the yard stick and the clothes pins in primary colors and hot glued the clothes pins onto the yard stick - then we just naile dit on the wall. Really easy and cheap.

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • *~The H2O Below~*
I didn't want to change my sn, but I used an invite for the test site and they limit sn's to 20 characters and mine was too long. So it made me re-name myself.confused I didn't have time to contemplate and just wrote this one. Now, I think it is forever.sad
  • Reply to this Message
  • Mommy Meg!
I went ahead and did the star collection above my couch. I already had the two larger ones, but I needed somehting more substantial. I knew when I saw this idea on nester it would work. Any feedback?!?
Thanks,
Meg happy


Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • newmommynvegas
Meg- I love it! Looks great. And I *heart* your polka dot pillow on your couch!




You think YOU'RE having a crappy day?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • nkmeldrim
I like the stars! Where did you find them? I really would prefer natural ones like yours instead of the painted ones.
Kristin & Nate with sons Andrew (4yrs) & Jonah (11mo)
  • Reply to this Message
  • mom2girlygirls
Very nice Meg!
Kristi ~ Mommy to two sweet girls.


  • Reply to this Message
  • slonb
I did some mistreatments around my sliding glass doors. I'm in a apartment and have those horrible vertical blinds and they drive me nuts. I can't do anything about them, but I could pretty it up a bit. I tried to get a pic with the blinds open, but it was too bright. I did the whole thing with hot glue and a staple gun. I was going to use upholstery tacks, but used my staple gun instead. You can't see the staples. They look really good, IMO. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ~Angelic~
those curatins look great!!!
  • Reply to this Message
  • Coffee&Chocolate

Meg, I just love the stars-they are arranged beautifully.

Love the curtains too, PP.

C&C

  • Reply to this Message
  • ari&elimom

I love the stars.....love how they are all different colors!
I also like your lamps and the light over your table! :)

stickfamily.jpg picture by ariandeli93

  • Reply to this Message
  • newmommynvegas
The curtains are great! I have the same vertical blinds. I can't do anything with them, though, because I am positive the girls would tear them down. Maybe I can get brave and give it a go.




You think YOU'RE having a crappy day?

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • slonb
Okay, I did some work on the bedroom too. The "art" above the bed is fabric stapled to canvas stretchers and the "valance" is the same as the large canvas over the bed. Before: Photobucket After: Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • lovinbeinamom

I love this thread. I wish I could share, but we are in a new home and I'm just getting started.

I love the fruit stand idea for the garden tub and I love the mistreatments for the patio door. Wonder if I could get dh to agree to that?

If I find something I'll share, but the work is slow going here. I don't want to rush anything and screw it up. silly

Awesome ideas ladies!

LBM

Where did you get all your stars?

Elisa

DD Anastasia

DS Zachary

  • Reply to this Message
  • SleepwalkingMommy
Brenna! Thanks for posting the clock and getting the ball rolling for sources for the hands! I've wanted to make a clock with candle sconces for years but haven't found hands big enough! I <3 you!!!

I have stolen used so many of your ideas over the last couple of days! Thanks everyone!

Andi
  • Reply to this Message
  • 9 mins of *crazy*

Mommy Meg!

The stars look great! Great job! Would you mind telling me what sizes your stars are?

  • Reply to this Message
  • mommy2EmnC8

I found another apothecary jar today at Marshalls for $5.99 (the one w/ the jelly beans). The other one came in the $12 trio set from Big Lots.

Papered the back of my medicine cabinet doors in our main bath w/ scrap book paper. Hides the clutter!

Using a vinegar bottle for mouth wash in one bath and found this other one w/ a glass on top for $5.99 at Marshalls today. Love it!

Elisa

Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • Linns2beasts
Ok, just came back from doing some bargain decor shopping!

Here's what I got!

Kirklands Home:

a 24" embossed barn star - $5.23 (org 19.99)
a 34" embossed barn star- $7.48 (orig 39.99)

This 5peice votive set for $5.98 (orig 19.99)Photobucket


Kohls:

This iron (???) sparrow tree for $4.48 (org 29.99)Photobucket
and these black wood palm latterns for $1.49 each (org 19.99)Photobucket

Woot!
I am not sure what to do with the sparrow tree, I dont really have any place to put it. I did buy white spray , to paint it white for spring.


also, I found an amazing armoire in the salvation army thrift store, has any painted laminant before?! Can it be done?

-Linn
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • slonb
I have that same bottle for my mouthwash. I found it at Pier 1. I love it!
  • Reply to this Message
  • chasenluke

I went to Kirklands and thanks to PP a few pages back got the Fleur De Lis canasters set with 25% off coupon. Love them. I have some of the candy balls for the kids in one and my crystal light packets in another. Takes some clutter off the countertops.

I am not able to do much more until the walls are painted. Ibought a picture that I have to bring back becuase it doens't look good with the cabinets.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

  • Reply to this Message
  • Ang71

I am so excitedhappy My dh and I have been going non-stop all day. We rearranged oldest dd's bedroom so we had to rehang everything. Dh is prepping a mirror to be hung over her dresser. I got it at the flea market for $15 already painted pink. It weighs at least 25/30 lbs. so it really needs to be anchored to the wall. I covered a matte for a framed picture with scrapbooking paper. Hung 3 framed pics, a collection of crosses and a shelf/ledge in our bedroom. I cleaned out the guest bedroom that had become the catch-all room, organized an armoire, cleaned the closet, and got a bag ready for Goodwill.

The shelf in my room is my favorite. I found it yesterday at Goodwill for $3.99. I hung it by my dresser and put a teddy bear made out of my grandma's nightgown, her Estee Lauder perfume bottles and powder box on it. It's my tribute to her, who I miss soooo much!!! If I knew how to post pics I would.

Thanks everyone for your inspiration to get a move on!! It's 9pm, I'm exhausted but I'm not stopping yet. My dd's 1st Communion is in 3 weeks and my Confirmation is next Saturday so we are going to be having a house full of people. Oh, in addition to doing all this I also ran to church to make my first confessionhappy I feel cleansedgrin

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)

  • Reply to this Message
  • Ang71
Oh, we also hung a white, wooden medicine cabinet in our girls' bathroom. I got it two years ago at Goodwill for $1.99(sat in the back of the closet that whole time). It was never hung but kind of beat up. It washed up really well. We also hung a shelf/ledge above their toilet. It totally changes their bathroom! Can you tell I'm excited?!blush

Angie

Mom to Sydney(8) and Natalie(5)

  • Reply to this Message
  • Jenni-O
Shannon-could you please post a picture of your Fleur De Lis cannisters? I've had my eye on them and would love to see how they actually look in a kitchen setting.

TIA.


Jennifer
DS-5 yrs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • ramteacher

If you have a Kohls I found some really cheap Christmas stuff today. I picked up 3 nice size glass candle globe thingies (not sure how to describe them!), one red, one silver, one green, all for 3.xx.

I need help with kitchen curtains. Our kitchen and dining rom are connected. In the dining room area we have two rectangle windows that are rather small. They are sliding windows , not deep enough to open up and down. I have no curtains on them because I don't know what to do. I don't want something that covers a lot of the window so more of a valance is what I'm looking for but they are so shallow that I can't figure out what would really look right. We have a farily traditional style and I currently have blue toile curtains on the kitchen windows. I have more of that fabric and would like to use it.

Ideas?

  • Reply to this Message
  • Jenni-O
Could you post pictures of your windows so we could get a better idea of what you have to work with?


Jennifer
DS-5 yrs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • maymommy-heather

ramteacher,

Couldn't you just do the mistreatments on those windows with the material you have leftover? Since you're doing it, you can fold them different lengths to see what would look best. I just did them in my son's room and they were so easy to do. I tried them a few ways because I wasn't sure the length that I wanted, but they look adorable and were so so fast. It's worth a shot at least with the leftover material. You can just fold and tack up, so you won't even have to cut or ruin the material if you don't want to keep them up.

  • Reply to this Message
  • chasenluke
Here is a pic of the canisters. I just got new countertops and we haven't tiled the backsplash yet so ignore that part. They are filled with candya nd one with crystal light packets. Not the best things but it worls for us to get it less cluttered, plus the design in the glass hides it some Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

  • Reply to this Message
  • Jenni-O
Thanks so much Shannon....I love them even more now than I already did!!! They look great!!


Jennifer
DS-5 yrs.
  • Reply to this Message
  • chasenluke
Jennifer- Make sure you go back and find the link to the coupon. It saved me $10!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket

  • Reply to this Message
  • BravoBoys

a bit late (took forever to read !)

My table is painted blace and now has been distressed by my kids. I have a cabinet (from a kitchen) that I bought at a garage sale a couple of years ago, that I just painted glossy black, and spray painted the top with that "stone" paint. I have a homemade desk that we use under the tv (on the wall) that I need to also paint black. I'll try to take a picture later.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Mommy Meg!
Thanks for the compliments girls! I bought the stars at Gordman's. They had tons!
The two big ones are 24"
The middles ones are 18"
Smaller ones are 12" and 9"
LOVE this thread!!
Meg happy
Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • creamedcorn

These ideas are great!!

CC

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • ramteacher

I lost my camera:( so I can't do pics but they are around 2 feet deep and 4 feet long. I was debating the mistreatment. I've been searching online for over an hour now and haven't found anything else i like better so that may be it!

No comments:

Blog Archive