Tuesday, September 2, 2008

CC charge 3 weeks later

    • received charge on my CC 3 WEEKS after I shopped at a store - can they do that?
  • eBay_Mom

Last week I noticed a charge on my CC from a store I had last visited 3.5 weeks earlier. I called the store and the manager told me they are really slow about processing the card transactions sometimes but that it was OK.

Is there a law about the period of time they can hold your 'swiped' transaction before submitting it?

  • Reply to this Message
  • pianoman
yes they can do that, you bought the stuff.

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright

th7c131c8c.gif picture by wobbs98

  • Reply to this Message
  • Robeeno
They can do it if you made the purchase.
  • Reply to this Message
  • NewEnglandKatherine

Yes. The company was given an authorization code at the time of the transaction and that code is good for up to 6 mos or a year...I think it depends upon the card.

eta: Companies that delay billing really screw up checking accounts if they hold up a transaction on a debit card. Unfortunately, you don't know what company will delay until you do business with them. CC's don't matter as much, since it's credit and not cash, but same rules apply to both credit and debit cards.


Edited Aug-30 by NewEnglandKatherine
  • Reply to this Message
  • Momma2Cameron
Of course they can do that. You bought the items, right?
Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

Myspace Graphics & Myspace Icons

  • Reply to this Message
  • City Granola
Yep - our agreement with Visa/MC is auth codes are for 6 months - after that, too bad for us, but we process ours nightly!


Photobucket
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom

How long are they allowed to hold it?

More info on this that I didn't mention the first time. Honestly -I don't recall having spent $80+ last time I was there but it IS possibly I just can't remember what I bought.

The thing that makes me nervous is that this is the store where a cashier 'slid a few things through' - for no apparent reason and told me he was going to do it. I couldn't hear what he said and didn't realize what he was doing at first until later when I checked my recent. It was 4 items totalling about $8-$10.

I probably should have reported him for it but I was a little nervous that the cashier would remember me and pull my CC slip with my name on it. (We are the only family by this last name in our local phone book!) The part that worries me is that if he ripped off his own company by giving my freebies, maybe he slid a few extra charges on the card in some type of scam.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Momma2Cameron
In that case I'd probably call and ask for an itemized receipt if available.
Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

Myspace Graphics & Myspace Icons

  • Reply to this Message
  • NewEnglandKatherine

You can always go back to the store or if it's a big corp, a customer service representative at HQ and request more info. The credit card company may or may not have more info. Some companies may make you request a copy of a receipt in writing and depending on the company, it can take 30 days.

I'd start with the store manager. Explain the card got swiped 3 or 4 times.

If you encounter any problems along the way, file a dispute with your credit card company. Worse case scenario is the charge is justified and you have to pay for it with a little interest.

  • Reply to this Message
  • NewEnglandKatherine
Btw, filing a dispute is not the same filing a charge of fraud. A dispute is used when you do business with a company and you have a question/problem with the charge. Some people thing the terms are synonymous, but they really aren't.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker


When you checked your RECENT last time and saw he slid some things through, you should have just returned them. You could have just said I don't think I paid for these.

Check your most recent, RECENT and see if you did indeed spend 80 dollars. PLus you are in the positive 8-10 dollars with them anyway.

  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom

It's a small chain store on the PA/MD region kind of like Big Lots only a lot less organized. I think I'm going to call their main office and talk with someone there.

  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom

When you checked your RECENT last time and saw he slid some things through, you should have just returned them. You could have just said I don't think I paid for these.

Unfortunately the downside to that is (1) the employee would have gotten into trouble, which I don't care about but I was concerned that he'd be pisssed AND possible had ACCESS TO MY NAME AND CC INFO and (2) they could have accused me of stealing it. (He sais, she said, between myself and the cashier - NOT worth it!!!)

Check your most recent, RECENT and see if you did indeed spend 80 dollars. PLus you are in the positive 8-10 dollars with them anyway.

I cannot find my receipt for that visit. I have looked everywhere. I do typically keep my receipts because of the potential for weird stuff to happen (overcharges, etc.)

  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2

How would he have access to your name and credit card number?

Did he write it down,before he handed you back the card?

Why would they accuse you of stealing?

This scenario you are describing seems hinky at best.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Finn&Esme's Mommy
What do you mean "he slid things through?" He randomly scanned items that you didn't want and you took them home anyway? He scanned items and you paid for them and he kept them? I'm totally lost but I might have read something wrong...


  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2
I read it as he put things in her bag without charging her for them.
  • Reply to this Message
  • April_July

I ordered some games last Christmas from leapster.com and they didn't debit my account for several months! The same thing happened to me one other year when I had ordered a bunch of photo books online from Kodak. Both times, it happened when we were doing a lot of Christmas shopping and didn't notice at the time that the charges never appeared. But believe me, we noticed when we were suddenly charged for them months later! shocked

Anyway...I'm not sure I understand about the guy slipping in some freebies. I would have refused them and walked away with nothing if I had to. Whatever stuff you were buying couldn't have been worth being involved in something fraudulent! sad

  • Reply to this Message
  • Finn&Esme's Mommy
I read it as he put things in her bag without charging her for them.

Oh, ok. That makes more sense, I thought she meant they overcharged her. It doesn't make sense why he would have done that though. I'm confused!


  • Reply to this Message
  • pianoman

When you checked your RECENT last time and saw he slid some things through, you should have just returned them. You could have just said I don't think I paid for these.

Check your most recent, RECENT and see if you did indeed spend 80 dollars. PLus you are in the positive 8-10 dollars with them anyway.

Are you meaning to type RECEIPT????

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright

th7c131c8c.gif picture by wobbs98

  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2
Read her original post.

No, I'm asking YOU why you typed "RECENT", do you mean to type "receipt"??? Your post makes no sense.

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright

th7c131c8c.gif picture by wobbs98

  • Reply to this Message
  • Panda123

Why did you take things you didn't pay for? AFAIK that is generally called stealing.

Anyway, you said you don't have the reciept for that visit any more, right? Why would stolen stuff show up on it anyway? It wasn't paid for. So confused. Like PP said, maybe they keep copies of their reciepts and can verify what they charged you for. That way you'll know if it's a fraudulent charge.

  • Reply to this Message
  • ReggeeD

I don't get it. Some random cashier put things in your bag that you didn't pay for, told you he was going to do it in advance but you didn't notice it until you left the store and looked at your receipt? And now you want to know how to find out what exactly was on your receipt because you think you were actually overcharged?

I still don't get it.

Lisa
  • Reply to this Message
  • Momma2Cameron
No, I'm asking YOU why you typed "RECENT", do you mean to type "receipt"??? Your post makes no sense.

lol, I was wondering, too.
Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

Myspace Graphics & Myspace Icons

  • Reply to this Message
  • mom2monkey04

I believe PP is calling attention to the OP's misuse of the word "recent" instead of "receipt" by misusing it as well.

Still don't understand the initial situation.

"Although we weren't able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it has about 18 million cracks in it and the light is shining through like never before." -- Hillary Clinton

  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2

I was being a smartass. I see it tanked.

Just take out recent and replace receipt and it will all make sense to you.

  • Reply to this Message
  • pianoman
Ok, I still don't get it. I don't see the word receipt OR recent on the op!!!!!

Sing us a song, you're the piano man
sing us a song tonight
Well, we're all in the mood for a melody
And you've got us feelin' alright

th7c131c8c.gif picture by wobbs98

  • Reply to this Message
  • SarahC24
OP, I really do not understand. Can you explain the transaction again? Then maybe we can be of more help.

Sarah

Mom to Shannon and Ethan

  • Reply to this Message
  • my3sonskcl
I was confused too, but she uses the word recent in her second post which gives more details.

Sonja

Photobucket
  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2

Oh, see the second post. Sorry.

I still think the whole thing is hinky.

She goes to the store the first time and the cashier mumbles something to her and then gives her 8-10 dollars of free items.

She is afraid to mention it to the store, because the cashier might retaliate.

She thinks that the same cashier may have charged extra items this past time, but she is not sure, but it could have happened, because she cannot remember what she spent.

I think that sums it up...

Ah, so this is more than one trip to the store? I think I get it. I highly doubt this cashier has your info, or if does, hes going to use it either way. Hes either a thief or he isn't. Call the store and have the manager give you an itemized receipt. If there are any items on there that you did not purchase, file a dispute with the CC company. If you are that concerned, ask the CC for a new card and cancel the old number.

Sarah

Mom to Shannon and Ethan

  • Reply to this Message
  • j&m'smom
Maybe the store somehow realized what the cashier slid through for you and is actually charging you for all the merchandise that you left the store with... and you are thinking you only spent like $50 but with the slid through items it was $80....



  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom

Oh, see the second post. Sorry.

I still think the whole thing is hinky.

She goes to the store the first time and the cashier mumbles something to her and then gives her 8-10 dollars of free items.

She is afraid to mention it to the store, because the cashier might retaliate.

She thinks that the same cashier may have charged extra items this past time, but she is not sure, but it could have happened, because she cannot remember what she spent.

I think that sums it up...

Yes, that sums it up. 2 visits. 2 receipts. I guess most of you aren't aware that your CC info can be skimmed in ways other than simply writing down the info. I just have that gut feeling that something isn't right.

  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2
Well, why didn't you call the first time it wasn't right?
  • Reply to this Message
Click Me!
  • mlatulip
If you're worried that he's stolen your CC info, report it lost or stolen & get a new one. He can't do identity theft on you buy just having your name and credit card info.

This is a tough one, because it might be hard for the company to provide you with an itemized receipt if the credit card's run on a separate machine than the transaction is rung up on. It sounds like it might be a cheapo place, so if that's the case, do you think that they even have a way to go back to match up your credit card amount with an itemized list? They very well might just have register tapes & no computer at all, but you'd know that better than me.

Since your first question was whether or not it was legal for them to charge it after a few weeks and not that you thought they had perpetrated some sort of fraud with your credit card, I think you know that it's legit & you'll just have to deal with forgetting to put it in your check register. If you track your purchases in your checkbook (or another source), you should know exactly what you're spending where.

Now, go cancel that credit card & get a new one.

mollymadden.jpg picture by mlatulip

  • Reply to this Message
  • meb01999
wait - so you think he stole your CC info and is using it at his own store??? i don't think he'd be THAT stupid.
- meghanLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom
Well, why didn't you call the first time it wasn't right?
That's been covered already. Our family is the only one here with our last name. He could easily look up my last name in the phone and start harrassing us. Weirder stuff has happened. Let's not mention the fact that if I had taken the stuff back in to the store, the cashier could have said I stole it and it would have been a he said/she said mess. I know someone's going to say well why wouldn't they believe me.... I don't know but it's not worth being tied up in an incident with the police. SO not worth it.
  • Reply to this Message
Message 198617.38 was deleted
  • boyandgirlmakes2

That's been covered already. Our family is the only one here with our last name. He could easily look up my last name in the phone and start harrassing us. Weirder stuff has happened. Let's not mention the fact that if I had taken the stuff back in to the store, the cashier could have said I stole it and it would have been a he said/she said mess. I know someone's going to say well why wouldn't they believe me.... I don't know but it's not worth being tied up in an incident with the police. SO not worth it.

That is the craziest excuse I have ever heard.

  • Reply to this Message
  • deaniesue

I agree - that is the LAMEST excuse I have ever heard.

Why not be honest and say....

He gave me some free stuff so I'm afriad to b*tch about this transaction because then they will realize I am a thief. Seriously. You are.

Jessica

You're kidding right? To me that'd be like flipping off someone on the highway, FCOL. Now if I said the cashier was black and had a gang tattoo on his forearm, would that make it different? Oh, but wait....saying that would have made me either racist or well, prejudiced. Having not said that I'm a thief. Guess I should let the gang bangers come on over to my house for a little fun, huh?

That being said - maybe I AM being a little paranoid. I'm don't why anyone HERE would ever get a little paraniod about the assumed 'kindness' of strangers. I've seen people here stalked, husbands called, photobucket accounts hacked, jobs lost and so on. All from a bucnh of strangers. And where did I ever get my sense of distrust?

  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2

Really WTH are you talking about?

Now you are saying the cashier was a gang banger?

  • Reply to this Message
  • ReggeeD

OP, if you're going to tell us a story and ask for opinions, you really need to spell it all out for us. Assume we don't know you, the store you were at, what kind of neighbourhood you live in, what the cashier looked like, etc., okay? Oh...and if you could also tell us exactly what it is you want us to say...that would help too.

Then I'm sure you'd get the response you were hoping for.

Lisa
  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2

Really I am curious, what does what has happened on this board have to do with getting free stuff at the store?

Why would he just give you free things?

  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom

My point to those who were bashing me for NOT reporting that he gave me the extra stuff was that you never know WTF you are dealing with - regardless of their race, etc. $8 or $10 is not worth getting pinched by some gang member because I pissed him off. Furthermore - I did not previously mention his race because if I HAD someone would be calling me a racist.

I posted the question about the time allowed for processing the transaction because the store employees and management are not of the highest quality - again had I said that the first time someone would be calling me prejudiced. I was attempting to be PC by not bringing some of the details into it.

So here - let me make it clear. The store manager is all tatted up and looks like some kind of felon - looks like he parties hard and all day too. Between him and the cashier the whole thing makes me nervous. If I brought the situation to the attention of some strung-out freaking store manager and pissed him off, he could randomly swipe my card at any time just for the fun of it. Sure - I could do a chargeback and whatnot and get my $ back but why do something stupid and put myself through a situation that doesn't need to be all because the Ethics Police on BC think I should have taken the $10 worth of junk back and paid for it??????

Now do you freaking get it?

  • Reply to this Message
  • boyandgirlmakes2

No, sorry I don't get it.

You are full of crap. You seriously think that the cashier and store manager are going to come after you?

You think because he is black, has tattoos and he fits your profile as a felo, he and the cashier are some how in cahoots and they are first giving you free items and then possibly, but you are not sure trying to overcharge you.

Why would you even shop there if they were so frightening?

This is the weirdest thing I have ever read.

  • Reply to this Message
  • ReggeeD

Okay then...I'd pay the bill, let it go and find somewhere else to shop.

Lisa
  • Reply to this Message
  • e.claire
nope, I dont take stuff from stores unless I paid for it.
Some guy with tattoos is not going to scare me into stealing. Why would he care if I got something without paying or not? If I only took home what I paid for, I cannot imagine him needing to look me up in the phone book and come after me.
Or charge my card extra.

  • Reply to this Message
  • Panda123

I have to admit I still really don't get it. Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things.

I agree with PP though. If you're so afraid these felonious gang bangers will come after you, just pay the bill and shop elsewhere.

  • Reply to this Message
  • eBay_Mom

Do I think they would come after me? WTH knows. For $10 I'm not risking it. If you want to, got for it. I'll give the store address and you can check it out for yourself. I didn't say frightening, I implied they might be shady.

No comments:

Blog Archive