Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Well there you go.... (breastfeeding thread)

Date: 7:06 AM
To: All
From: greatteeth
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080505/us_nm/breastfeeding_dc;_ylt=AoxaCTRfZL7varc9qi8r_Lys0NUE



Date: 7:08 AM
To: All
From: hahawillis
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.2
Wonderful.
More ammo to use against my mother.


Date: 7:09 AM
To: All
From: Panda123
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.3
There are actually a lot of studies like this. I'm surprised that people think it's news.


Date: 7:10 AM
To: All
From: melik97
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.4
Welp guess I really am living with a bunch of idiots then

var ad_leaderboard = "http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/bc.";
ad_leaderboard += _bcParentTopic;
ad_leaderboard += ".com/bbs"+_forumId;
ad_leaderboard += ";sz=300x250;tile=3;pos=box;ord=";
ad_leaderboard += ord;
ad_leaderboard += "?";
document.write('');
';

document.write('');
//-->



Date: 7:13 AM
To: All
From: colleen2626
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.5
Really?? My formula fed DD just got accepted into the gifted program at school.


Date: 7:15 AM
To: All
From: Mom2H&T
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.6
Oh this is sure to be a great thread.



Date: 7:17 AM
To: All
From: Panda123
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.7
LOL Colleen.
We're actally talking about a potential difference of 5-7 IQ points in people of normal intelligence, which isn't really huge deal. More so if your IQ was 80 to start with.
Plus there's the whole school of thought about how valid IQ scores really are. Mine is about 140 and I'm not doing anything particularly great with my life.


Date: 7:17 AM
To: All
From: Crazy'nLovin'It
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.8
Did they actually take into account the IQ of the parents in this study, or just the children? How do you know they didn't just pick genetically smarter kids over the dumb ones to prove their point?
Yep, I formula feed. Like I need anyone making me feel guilty for doing so. (won't work, of course, I have no guilt -- ff works for us-- but it does make others feel guilty)...
I'M LOVIN' ON MY ZOOFUL OF KIDS...


Date: 7:17 AM
To: All
From: chandlers_a_girl
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.9
My girls were fed formula. They are 5 and Almost-2.
I'm going to start lactating again so I can nurse them now and make them smarter. I'll be nursing Chandler until she's 8 to make up for the time I didn't nurse her. I'll nurse Kennedi until she's 5.
I plan on nursing them simultaneously.
Holly
If you're going to be a turd, go lay in the yard. http://multislackingmama.blogspot.com/


Date: 7:18 AM
To: All
From: Wenders11
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.10
Someone will have to break it to my 8 year old, who has an IQ over 130, I guess. Darn, a life of flipping burgers is going to be so hard for him. If only I had breastfed longer, he could have been a brain surgeon.
Where's the freakin' eye rolling smiley?!



Date: 7:19 AM
To: All
From: Mommy2a2y/o!
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.11
haha, Holly you so just made me spit my OJ. Lemme know how that goes! lolK
http://monkeysma.blogspot.com/


Date: 7:19 AM
To: All
From: greatteeth
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.12
See, I read this and knew it would get you girls fired up.



Date: 7:23 AM
To: All
From: KPsweetpea
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.13
I truly don't see WHY this offends people though. To the people getting defensive, you do realize the article isn't saying formula fed kids are stupid, right? It's only saying that breastfed kids are SLIGHTLY smarter. There's a big difference.




Date: 7:23 AM
To: All
From: DoubleDimples
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.14
Holly - that is good thinking. Your mom must have bf you, lol.
I bf and ff, so I wonder what that will do to my girls...
Betty "There are no good girls gone wrong...just bad girls found out."



Date: 7:23 AM
To: Mommy2a2y/o!
From: chandlers_a_girl
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.15
My milks, it's coming in now...
I plan on EBF both of them. I'll quit my job and homeschool so they can get their nutrishions straight from Momma.
Holly

If you're going to be a turd, go lay in the yard. http://multislackingmama.blogspot.com/


Date: 7:25 AM
To: All
From: 3girls4Tara
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.16
Well not only are they smarter, their parents love them more! Their parents are more concerned with their health and read to them more.
Well all 3 of my kids have been FF and they have NEVER had an ear infection, are not allergic to anything and the only one who even had a cold in their first year is my baby now but maybe that's because my oldest brings germs home from school....germs from breast fed kids maybe?
~*~Tara~*~Mommy to 3 Princesses!
http://3girls4tara.blogspot.com
Edited 7:26 AM by 3girls4Tara


Date: 7:25 AM
To: chandlers_a_girl
From: Mommy2a2y/o!
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.17
haha....you can only do that if you promise to be on the news in your tent like dress explaining why you do it for the benefit of them, not you...and how your walmart name is HAWLEY...lolxoxok
http://monkeysma.blogspot.com/


Date: 7:27 AM
To: All
From: leahslillambs
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.18
I guess I'll have to start nursing my 17 year old, she just got her ACT scores back and her formula fed self made a 30. If I nurse her for the next 6 months she may be able to get an even higher score!
Leah



Date: 7:29 AM
To: All
From: hahawillis
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.19
I wonder where studies like this get their funding. I mean hasn't this been covered already?
Maybe we should be spending that funding money on something that will cure a disease we already have.
I think it is greeat to encourage moms to BF. I think moms should be supported no matter what their choice is- either way taking care of a newborn is hard work. No need to make people feel badly about the way they feed their little ones.
And I don't think it matters to anyone else how I fed my kids. That is between me and my DH and my kids. It is no one else's business as far as I am concerned.


Date: 7:30 AM
To: All
From: momkylieto3
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.20
LOL @ Leah! Something tells me your DD will say she is thrilled with her 30! CONGRATS to your DD - very nice score!
Well there you go....

Date: 8:09 AM
To: All
From: KPsweetpea
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.41
If a had a super cute kid, and someone posted an article that ff kids were 5% cuter, I wouldn't be offended, I'd think, hey, I still have a super cute kid. Just like if I had a million dollars, it wouldn't bug me if you had a million and 10 dollars, cuz hey, I've still got my million!




Date: 8:11 AM
To: schwadette
From: Princess Peaches2
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.42
Just remember all GOOD studies are skewed to the side of what the researcher prefers. A little something I picked up in statistics.
I would LOVE to know what they used as their control.
And yes, BF should be proud of their accomplishments. No one is saying otherwise. Stop trying to make it an argument. Sheesh.


SunGoddessMommy confessionsofadramaqueen.wordpress.com


Date: 8:12 AM
To: All
From: K&P'smom
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.43
All of us are not lucky enough to be able to breast feed so thanks for shoving stuff down our throats.My milk never came in with dd and dried up with ds after only 6 weeks because of all my postpartum problems.I really appreciate always being looked down and told what a terrible mom I am because I had to formula feed.

BreAnna
Kayla 8/10/01
Peyton 3/27/07


Date: 8:14 AM
To: All
From: hahawillis
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.44
I thought that breastfeeding was supposed to help prevent PPD.
I can see that if you need to take meds for it then you shouldn't be breastfeeding.
To each their own. Not something to feel guilty about.
People actually tell you you are a horrible mom because you ff? Dang! That takes some rocks.
Now if you drown the kid in a tub of formula I could see that, but beyond that I don't see where anyone should bash another mom's choice.
Edited 8:16 AM by hahawillis

var ad_leaderboard = "http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/bc.";
ad_leaderboard += _bcParentTopic;
ad_leaderboard += ".com/bbs"+_forumId;
ad_leaderboard += ";sz=300x250;tile=3;pos=box;ord=";
ad_leaderboard += ord;
ad_leaderboard += "?";
document.write('');
var ACE_AR = {Site: '747837', Size: '300250'};
Dim adsVB,po
adsVB=0
If ScriptEngineMajorVersion >=2 then adsVB=1
Function adsAX(aX)
on error resume next
If adsVB=1 then
adsAX=False
set po=CreateObject(aX)
adsAX=IsObject(po)
If (err) then adsAX=False
Else
adsAX=False
End If
End Function


Date: 8:15 AM
To: All
From: ~debbie~
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.45
I like how the IQ tests were administered by the pediatricians - I don't know of a valid IQ test that a pediatrician would be qualified to administer unless he or she were also a licensed School Psychologist or other such professional as well.
I didn't read all of the posts so I don't know if anyone else responded similarly, but it bothers me so much to see studies like this in the media with no details on how the study was conducted, what methods and instruments were used, etc.




Date: 8:18 AM
To: All
From: chandlers_a_girl
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.46
If you are confident in your choices, you do not have to be defensive when things like this come up. This would never come up for me IRL (other than when I was pregnant and going to the OB). I knew I was going to FF my baby #2, and when they gave me the BF speech, I smiled and nodded and I asked for formula when she was born. No one blinked an eye.
Holly
If you're going to be a turd, go lay in the yard. http://multislackingmama.blogspot.com/


Date: 8:23 AM
To: All
From: SarahJane98
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.47
I'm not surprised or offended by the study -- and I formula-fed. I'm more irritated by the unquantifiable, unprofessional statement that parents who formula-feed are somehow less involved with their children or less interactive. It sounds like junk science to me.




Date: 8:27 AM
To: All
From: *Marley*
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.48
This article is not saying anyone is stupid, doesn't care about their children, or that their children are stupid. The point is, if you take a large number of people, and look at the average intelligence, the AVERAGE is going to be higher for breastfed babies. Also, if you look at an overall AVERAGE of attentiveness, etc., maybe breastfeeding comes out a bit higher. This does not mean that because you formula fed you are less attentive or care about your child less.
So, there are PLENTY formula fed babies who are smarter than plenty of breastfed babies.
I can see how this hits a nerve, but so many of you are interpreting the results wrong and getting way too defensive.



Date: 8:29 AM
To: All
From: Wenders11
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.49
If those few extra IQ points aren't that big of a deal then WHY do they repeatedly bring it up in these stupid studies?? I just get tired of the stupid breastfeeding studies about how your kid is going to be smarter and healthier if they're breastfed and that it's also probably because those kids also have parents that love them more, and then to not make the poor lazy crappy ff'ing parents feel bad they say "oh, but your ff child will probably be fine, too...". It's just so ridiculous. People announce that they breastfeed like they just saved the universe and they need a medal or something. Good for you. I'm equally as proud that I formula fed because I kept my poor kid from starving to death. And while I'm formula feeding my next child I'll be equally as proud that I saved her from sitting in an orphanage where no one loves her.
It's just one of those subjects that get me riled up because it's SO stupid. I know formula fed people who are brilliant and perfectly healthy and I know breastfed people who are not that bright and are sick all the time. The way your fed your baby guarantees nothing, so the whole debate is just completely absurd to me.
And obviously I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, lol.



Date: 8:30 AM
To: All
From: SarahJane98
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.50
This article is not saying anyone is stupid, doesn't care about their children, or that their children are stupid.

No. But it does clearly say that breastfed children receive more interaction from their parents, which, frankly, cannot be interpreted as anything other than judgment. And an irrational, unproven judgment at that.




Date: 8:39 AM
To: All
From: leahslillambs
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.51
I wonder how smart the bf children are in 3rd world countries. Why doesn't somebody do a study in Darfur? I bet if we dropped cans of formula from the sky their mothers would just be glad to have something to feed their children. I formula fed both my kids by choice and I'm so tired of this debate. I don't care how you feed your kids, as long as you feed them.
Leah



Date: 8:43 AM
To: All
From: *Marley*
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.52
No. But it does clearly say that breastfed children receive more interaction from their parents, which, frankly, cannot be interpreted as anything other than judgment. And an irrational, unproven judgment at that.
If the article stated this as a fact rather than speculation, then that is irresponsible. However, in research, you are supposed to speculate possibilities for results. It would be flawed to say "breastfed babies tend to be healthier--therefore breastmilk is healthier" because that is a correlation, which does not necessarily mean one factor causes another. So, as a responsible researcher, you suggest other possibilities.
Again, these are "averages" and there are some groups of people who may be less educated and less attentive, and they may be more likely to formula feed, which is significantly going to influence the results, which does not mean that YOUR child is not as smart or not as healthy as the average breastfed baby. We all know that generally breastmilk is healthiest for babies, but there are SOOOOOO many other factors that influence health. I have a relative who breastfed her children, but they eat horribly unhealthy foods now and her son is on the fast track to obesity. Also, I strongly believe that if issues related to breastfeeding are going to significantly impact the mother's well-being, stress level, depression, etc., then formula feeding would be the healthier choice for both mother and baby.


Date: 8:45 AM
To: All
From: LouLouWho
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.53
Two of my kids were FF and one is EBF. Studies like this are stupid. What' s the point? Are we all suppose to switch to EBF?
I have to leave for work if this gets good please please put it on MDU!
SamJogrem


Date: 8:48 AM
To: All
From: *Marley*
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.54
Studies like this are stupid.
Were you serious or is this sarcasm? Since when is looking at what influences the health and well being of children "stupid?" If the results supported FF, would you find the study stupid?


Date: 8:49 AM
To: leahslillambs
From: K&P'smom
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.55
I don't care how you feed your kids, as long as you feed them.
Cool!So you wouldn't judge me if I said I was putting my kids on a diet of jelly beans and pizza?

BreAnna
Kayla 8/10/01
Peyton 3/27/07


Date: 8:50 AM
To: All
From: DrivingMissCrazy
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.56
Are you comparing nutritionally sound formula to pizza and jelly beans? For real?

Christy



Date: 8:58 AM
To: All
From: leahslillambs
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.57
Pizza can be very nutritious and you can get all your food groups in one convenient package.
Leah



Date: 9:01 AM
To: *Marley*
From: Princess Peaches2
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.58
Yes.

SunGoddessMommy confessionsofadramaqueen.wordpress.com


Date: 9:03 AM
To: All
From: SarahJane98
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.59
However, in research, you are supposed to speculate possibilities for results.

Yes -- but speculating about an unrelated issue is irresponsible at best and unethical at worst. It would be like presenting a study about children who attend public school versus children who attend private school, and saying that quantifiably private school children are smarter -- and their parents tend to be more involved in the children's lives.

Saying breastfed children "tend" to have more interactive parents is unquantifiable. And it's crap research.




Date: 9:04 AM
To: All
From: greatteeth
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.60
FWIW I was being sarcastic when I said "well there you go" as my title (just to clear up any misconceptions about my superiority complex ).

Date: 9:06 AM
To: All
From: LouLouWho
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.61
Studies like this are stupid.
Were you serious or is this sarcasm? Since when is looking at what influences the health and well being of children "stupid?" If the results supported FF, would you find the study stupid?
This study tells us nothing new. We already know that breastmilk is the better option another study proving that does nothing. Like a PP said a few IQ points is not that big of a difference.
I'm no more smarter now that I EBF my newborn than I was when I had to FF my older kids. If anything I've lost a few brain cells over the years!
SamJogrem


Date: 9:11 AM
To: All
From: Z&GsMommy
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.62
Mothers who breast-feed or those who breast-feed longer or most exclusively are different from the mothers who don't," Dr. Michael Kramer of McGill University in Montreal and the Montreal Children's Hospital said in a telephone interview.
They tend to be smarter. They tend to be more invested in their babies. They tend to interact with them more closely. They may be the kind of mothers who read to their kids more, who spend more time with their kids, who play with them more," added Kramer, who led the study published in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.
Yup cuz you know I'm just a idiot who lets my kids fend for themselves.



Date: 9:11 AM
To: All
From: Samantha-I-Amantha
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.63
When my grandma was having her kids, she was encouraged NOT to breast feed. They gave her a pill to dry her milk up after birthing each of her kids. Breast milk was looked at as being unsanitary and what poor people did. So if that was the norm, what does that say about my mom's generation?
Good point! Vote NO ONE for President....they're all idiots!
I FFed because I HAD to. These honkers simply did not make enough. Guess my kids picked the wrong mom to be born too. Poor darlings.



Date: 9:21 AM
To: All
From: PETA - Yummy!!!
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.64
A few IQ points could mean the world for my dd. She is on the very low side of average to the point that she is considered to have a low IQ. At one point they though she was MR but it happens that she just did bad on the test. So 7 points could help out a lot when it comes to children like her. Now that said her issues go way beyond the fact that I gave her formula and bm. She is special needs and has that working against her when it comes to tests and school work.
What does bug me is that there are always the same posters that come on this threads and feel the need to bash others just you make themselves feel better. Just because someone makes a different choice then you is no reason to make fun of them. It doesn't make your choice look any better it just makes you look like a (female dog).

var ad_leaderboard = "http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/bc.";
ad_leaderboard += _bcParentTopic;
ad_leaderboard += ".com/bbs"+_forumId;
ad_leaderboard += ";sz=300x250;tile=3;pos=box;ord=";
ad_leaderboard += ord;
ad_leaderboard += "?";
document.write('');
var ACE_AR = {Site: '747837', Size: '300250'};
Dim adsVB,po
adsVB=0
If ScriptEngineMajorVersion >=2 then adsVB=1
Function adsAX(aX)
on error resume next
If adsVB=1 then
adsAX=False
set po=CreateObject(aX)
adsAX=IsObject(po)
If (err) then adsAX=False
Else
adsAX=False
End If
End Function


Date: 9:26 AM
To: All
From: mommytoethan&dylan
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.65
Gonna have to go with Haul-ee on this one. You think my boys will think I am crazy if I get them a wet nurse? Since I couldn't breastfeed them to begin with- I would hate to be blamed for making them dumb with all the nutricious formula I gave them-

Drats-just something else to make us formula moms guilty about.
Kristen
mommy to Ethan 9/02
Dylan 7/05


Date: 9:28 AM
To: All
From: *Marley*
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.66
Yes -- but speculating about an unrelated issue is irresponsible at best and unethical at worst. It would be like presenting a study about children who attend public school versus children who attend private school, and saying that quantifiably private school children are smarter -- and their parents tend to be more involved in the children's lives. Saying breastfed children "tend" to have more interactive parents is unquantifiable. And it's crap research.
You clearly do not have a background in research, so I'll leave this alone.


Date: 9:31 AM
To: All
From: Mom 2 3Princesses
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.67
Funny cause my FF dd (6) is extremely bright, never had an ear infection, nor eczema. But my 2 bf babies both have eczema, their fair share of ear infections, and are bright, but not at the same level as dd#1. And I love them all the same.
Deanna
(fka: I *heart* my lil tatertots)


Date: 9:35 AM
To: All
From: Whateva!
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.68
I could have told ya'll that! My 30-weeker was doing algebraic equations in the NICU at 3 wks.
He loved him some good, yellow liquid gold (hind milk) the nurses had me pump.
RIP Barbara


Date: 9:39 AM
To: All
From: ManoMelissa
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.69
Of the 3 daughters I have right now, I've only been able to BF one of them and the other two were FF obviously. The one I BF is the one who is sick all the time and has allergies. Will I try and BF baby #4 when he gets here too? Yes, I will, but I don't think it is going to make him smarter or more healthy than the other two girls who so far were FF and are as healthy as they come.
Melissa
EmaLeigh 2/24/94 ~ Aislen 10/09/03 ~ Sweet Angel 3/05 ~ Chatlie 09/18/06 ~Tiniest Sweet Angel 6/07~ EDD, Baby Boy, Dutch ??? 07/11/08


Date: 9:40 AM
To: All
From: MamaMia13
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.70
This study is not the answer for getting more moms to breastfeed. I don't think guilt or fear is a good way to encourage new moms to give breastfeeding a shot.
Breastfeeding is really tough. I think we need to offer SUPPORT and EDUCATION for all pregnant moms and breastfeeders. Even the formula companies have to acknowledge on their ads that breast is best. So lets do a study on why so many moms give breastfeeding up or don't try at all and try to help not shame.
Amy


Date: 9:41 AM
To: All
From: SarahJane98
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.71
LOL at Marley. I do love it when a good insult ends an otherwise interesting debate. Thank you for reminding me of your inherent superiority. Clearly I'm just an idiot who tends to think that speculating about affection and interaction has very little to do with how one feeds one's child.

Silly me!




Date: 9:43 AM
To: All
From: mymadhattersteaparty
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.72
I'll probably get bashed for this but I really like studies like this. Some moms are not so well informed and I feel if everyone knew the REASON they say breastmilk is better then maybe they would choose to nurse. For me nursing at the beginning was difficult. I had cracked nipples which got bloody, one side was inverted so I had to use the thing to push it out (I forgot what it's called) and honestly I wanted to give up after one week. I would cry when dd nursed it hurt so bad. It finally improved after six weeks and I ended up really enjoying nursing. I just feel the first few weeks are difficult for most people but if they would stick it out they might really enjoy it. I know this isn't the case for everyone but most people I know give up by three weeks. My cousin for instance is saying she thinks she doesn't have enough milk but she's nursing her two week old 4x a day and formula feeding the rest of the feedings. She had no idea you were supposed to nurse more to get your supply up especially in the first few weeks. This is why I feel it's necessary to get more info out so this doesn't happen and it might encourage people to stick it out a little longer. I know some people have medical problems and they really can't nurse but the majority of people I know stop because of how difficult it is in the beginning. For me it was such a wonderful bond to nurse my children and I wish everyone could have that experience. I know we are all different and not everyone is going to enjoy it even if they go for 6 weeks or longer but I wish people would at least try. Now that being said I've never put anyone down for their decisions and our parenting decisions won't work for everyone and God know's I'm no where near the best parent this is just they way I feel about it.

Edited 9:44 AM by mymadhattersteaparty


Date: 9:43 AM
To: All
From: 2girls4me0105
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.73
Oy vey! here we go again!!
I guess I will have to break it to my 6 yr old who reads/spells/writes, and speaks above grade level.
*~Bernadette~*
Nicole 8*18*01
Camryn 5*27*05



Date: 9:50 AM
To: All
From: Whateva!
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.74
I'll probably get bashed for this but I really like studies like this. Some moms are not so well informed and I feel if everyone knew the REASON they say breastmilk is better then maybe they would choose to nurse.


I agree with this. With my first, I had NO idea about BF, was never asked if I wanted to, and def. did not know the benefits. I was so young, I guess the nurse just assumed I wouldn't want to.
I had no idea it would help ME with PPD. It was like Prozac for me (nursing) I was so relaxed.
I lost the baby weight very quickly.
It was such a bonding time for us. This is just MY experience.
I DO NOT look down on those that choose not to.
RIP Barbara

Date: 9:57 AM
To: All
From: mom2monkey04
Add to FriendsIgnore
Report as Violation
Print
Send to a Friend
Bookmark
173094.75
I just weaned my 4 y/o DS about 2 months ago (my choice, not his) and I love to read studies like this. Wow, what a great mom I am; just think how smart and healthy he'll be. All because I breast fed. But -- wait a minute -- I'm smart, I'm healthy, my five siblings are all gifted with above average intelligence, overall healthy -- and we were all bottlefed! In fact, back in the 60's, Karo syrup and canned evaporated milk were main ingredients in homemade formula. So although I am proud of having had that experience with my DS, I don't know that he'll be smarter or healthier because of it; maybe he just inherits my brains and good looks.

No comments: